Newbie to be...

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldfinger

Well not me, but the OH. :oops:

She's not really a forum kind of person - more Facebooker.... :roll:

So it'll be me doing the posting etc...

She's getting very soon we hope now, a GX3h through NHS fleet solutions.

Our first question is about the charging cable(s)...?

Trying to find a company (now) to get one fitted seems to becoming impossible.

So does anyone know of people still doing it through the grant scheme. Near enough around (SE) Northumberland??

And then what about the charging cables, which ones do we need when out and about and need a charge...?

Reading the internet on cables / home charging, I'm in knots.... :?

Hope I got your question right:

The car comes with a charger that you can both use at home and/or anywhere else where you can find a standart wall outlet (10-13 Amps).

Only if you want a slightly faster AC charge (16 Amps), you can install a seperate charger at home and buy a Type 2 - Type 1 charging cable to use at the EV charging points if there are no Chademo DC fast chargers...

Is that what you asked?

Just a tip: Fast chargers are probably not an advisable option for daily charging as Mitsubishi themselves state that frequent fast charging impacts battery life.

Yes it's the faster charging cable that we're asking about for when we're out and about.

We're hoping the car's here before the end of March (surely should be shouldn't it / ordered 2 weeks ago now...??), as we're going away for a short weekend break and thought about using this car instead of my Shogun.

So when it come to needing a bit of a charge at maybe a motorway service station etc, we wondered how it works etc?? :?

Goldfinger said:
Yes it's the faster charging cable that we're asking about for when we're out and about.

We're hoping the car's here before the end of March (surely should be shouldn't it / ordered 2 weeks ago now...??), as we're going away for a short weekend break and thought about using this car instead of my Shogun.

So when it come to needing a bit of a charge at maybe a motorway service station etc, we wondered how it works etc?? :?

This car is not for EV driving long distances. Fast charging gives 80% of a full battery in 30 minutes which is about 25 miles (if google is correct. I'm from Sweden). The time spent charging is usually not worth the money you save by EV driving.

Here in Sweden the charge points are a mess of vendors and cable models and you will need a shitload of RFID dongles, cards, cables etc to be able to charge everywhere...if the charge point is functional (not seldom you arrive at a charge point and it is out of commission).
Also, the price for charging in public places is sometimes the same as the price for fuel.

I charge at home and at work!

kljasdfbkjaaalke said:
Goldfinger said:

This car is not for EV driving long distances. Fast charging gives 80% of a full battery in 30 minutes which is about 25 miles (if google is correct. I'm from Sweden). The time spent charging is usually not worth the money you save by EV driving.

Here in Sweden the charge points are a mess of vendors and cable models and you will need a shitload of RFID dongles, cards, cables etc to be able to charge everywhere...if the charge point is functional (not seldom you arrive at a charge point and it is out of commission).
Also, the price for charging in public places is sometimes the same as the price for fuel.

I charge at home and at work!

In Britain, almost all the fast chargers are on the motorways which rather reduces their value - it takes half an hour to get an 80% charge into the battery which, at motorway speeds may not take you much more than 15 miles - which you will do in less than 20 minutes - if you tried to do a long journey on 100% EV, you would probably spend more time stationary than moving.

You can get a home charging point fitted free through the Energy Saving Trust. British Gas fitted mine and the EST covered the cost including upgrading my main fuseboard in the house. All in all about £600.

If you go to ChargeMaster they are still installing 16AMP units free of charge. Charge time on these are about 3.5 hours.

Depending upon your setup, ease of use, security etc, you may want to go for a tethered unit, i.e. cable attached to the unit.

See image below to see what I mean, and why I went with tethered, ease of use and security.

b_130159.jpg

For charging when not at home there are 3 options available.

- Rapid Charge CHAdeMO units which are available at most motorway service stations. These come with a tethered cable and plug into the DC port of your car and will charge the car to 80% in under 30 minutes. see http://www.ecotricity.co.uk for their electric highway.

- Slow charge on a 13 AMP traditional 3 pin household type socket. This can be used with the cable supplied with your car and is also available at some public charge locations. takes about 5 hours from empty.

- Fast charge on a public charge point with a Type 2 socket. For this you will need a Type 1 to Type 2 cable. Charge time is about 3.5 hours from empty.

If you go for an untethered home unit, then the Type 1 to Type 2 cable can be used at home and at public charge points.

These cables can be purchased at https://evconnectors.com

https://evconnectors.com/index.php?route=product/product&filter_name=j1772&product_id=122

Hope that helps with your question on charging.

Hurrahh, people that speak sense! :cool:

Only down side I've found out recently though is, BG no longer don the charge point for free, and also a company we were put in touch with (Elm EV), that do them neither does the points for free now...

Just hope the 'funding' hasn't ran out...

charge master are still free so are Rolec. I have ordered my Rolec through http://www.evchargingsolutions.co.uk/ great service so far from the team. The unit fits my garage pillar better and has internal meter to monitor use. Booked this week having installed on 12th.

If I wasn't getting for free I would have just installed outside 13a socket 5 hour charge for me is fine

How do we know when ours will be arriving?

Had no correspondence since ordering on the 8th January....

I would have thought someone would have spoken to us by now.

Or are we just being impatient?

+1 for Rolec: http://www.rolecserv.com/ev-charging/product/free-ev-home-charging-points

There's no extra cost for the 32A charging point, tethered or untethered.

Goldfinger said:
How do we know when ours will be arriving?

Had no correspondence since ordering on the 8th January....

I would have thought someone would have spoken to us by now.

Or are we just being impatient?

Who have you ordered from? I found that Chargemaster's management processes were a bit flaky - they missed my order completely till I phoned them to check. Once they had it recorded, they were efficient and the quality of the work seems good.

Oops, I meant the car.... :oops:

As for charging points for home, We put an email enquiry through to Charge master. But what is the 'Polar network membership' thing that you get for 6 months free?? (and then what after that?)

I feel like turning them down and going with Rolec now...

Goldfinger said:
Oops, I meant the car.... :oops:

As for charging points for home, We put an email enquiry through to Charge master. But what is the 'Polar network membership' thing that you get for 6 months free?? (and then what after that?)

I feel like turning them down and going with Rolec now...

Polar Network is Chargemaster's public charging network. Some points are free, those that are not work out very expensive for an Outlander.

It's also worth trying nuworldenergy or Phoenixworks - they both are still doing the free points, up to the untethered 32A Rolec that I have fitted.

I initially emailed Chargemaster. They replied precisely 1 month later. :shock: By that time I'd contacted Rolec, had an survey and arranged an installation date!

I got an email today from Amy at EV Grant asking if I was still interested in a Chargemaster unit - 3 months after I applied! Their email said funding was available until 31st March 15.
I replied saying that I already a Rolec charger installed 6 weeks ago.

Phoenix Works did a great job of my installation too. I went with 32amp tethered as all my charging is done at home.

Needless to say I am not impressed with EV/Chargemaster. They must be either very busy or very inefficient...

Back