Pressurized Fuel Tank - does Outlander PHEV have it?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fossilandmineral

Does the Outlander PHEV (the third generation 2017-2022 and fourth generation 2023- models) have a pressurized fuel tank?

I've noticed other PHEV vehicle models (Subaru crosstrek hybrid, Chevy Volt) have this to help deal with fuel loss if running on electricity more.

I'd say the 2019 seems to, there was the sound of pressure equalising when I undid the cap earlier today when I went to fill up. It had run the tank almost empty "burning stale fuel" on its last 35 mile run tho I doubt that made a difference.

All Gas powered vehicles have a pressurized fuel tank. It is an emission control to prevent unburnt fuel vapors from getting into the atmosphere. Because it is a PHEV makes no difference.

In the 2023 there is a button on the dash you have to press to release the pressure before filling.
I have a 2023 and there is no such button on the Canadian spec Outlander PHEV. There is a delay when you push the fuel door opening button and I suspect it may be because it is lowering the pressure in the tank.

Back in the "old days" - 2014, when I got mine, it didn't have one. So this is either a year or country modification.

I have a 2023 and there is no such button on the Canadian spec Outlander PHEV. There is a delay when you push the fuel door opening button and I suspect it may be because it is lowering the pressure in the tank.
Strange. I have a 2023 GT and it definitely has a button on the dash. Icon on the button looks like a gas pump.

All Gas powered vehicles have a pressurized fuel tank. It is an emission control to prevent unburnt fuel vapors from getting into the atmosphere. Because it is a PHEV makes no difference.
You have no idea how untrue that is. My 2020 petrol outlander did not have a pressurized fuel tank, but the PHEV does.

All gas vehicles have a sealed fuel system to prevent unburnt fuel from getting into the air. The only air exchange allowed is when the tank gets cold and allows air into the tank.

All gas vehicles have a sealed fuel system to prevent unburnt fuel from getting into the air. The only air exchange allowed is when the tank gets cold and allows air into the tank.
So how does this actually work AND still allow fuel to be pumped to the engine, against the partial vacuum being created?

My gas cap goes on firmly but will not click as instructed. Never had a fault notice so it must seal ok.
Of course I've only removed the gas cap 6 times in 5000 miles.

My new Nissan does not have a fuel cap at all. There's a metal flap in the bodywork that flips open if you press it lightly. Inside, there's the metal tube that leads down to the tank and this has a simple hinged flap that you push open with the pump nozzle.

Martin

When I replace the fuel cap on my 2014 PHEV after fueling, the tank is at ambient pressure.

Next time I release the cap to refuel there is the "hiss" of pressure being released.

I'd say it's evaporated fuel being released.

Back