Remote Unlocking

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonPaul

Both my key remote fob things often need several presses before the doors will lock or unlock: I sometimes use the black button by the door handle in frustration! I would assume that this is because of low batteries, except that they are new and I haven't had an alert to change them. Any ideas out there please?

The car usually gives a warning message when battery is low in the key fob. Maybe the microswitch inside the fob is playing up? Did you get a second fob with the car, and does it have the same problem?

The car usually gives a warning message when battery is low in the key fob. Maybe the microswitch inside the fob is playing up? Did you get a second fob with the car, and does it have the same problem?
Is it a DIY job to change the battery or back to the dealer?

That may depend on the nature of the user.

I've changed the batteries in my key fobs a couple of times, but I'm very familiar with opening plastic devices to clean them etc.

You need something like a plastic spudger, or a strong fingernail to open the case, but if too much force is used, the case could be damaged.

Once the case is opened, it's quite easy to change the battery.

Take care to notice which way up the battery goes when you open the case.

(Maybe even take a picture to be sure)

:)

Andy

That may depend on the nature of the user.

I've changed the batteries in my key fobs a couple of times, but I'm very familiar with opening plastic devices to clean them etc.

You need something like a plastic spudger, or a strong fingernail to open the case, but if too much force is used, the case could be damaged.

Once the case is opened, it's quite easy to change the battery.

Take care to notice which way up the battery goes when you open the case.

(Maybe even take a picture to be sure)

:)

Andy
Thanks. I had imagined it would be a programming issue or some such, so the dealer could charge an exorbitant amount to change it!

Final question: is it a standard watch battery type?

Thanks. I had imagined it would be a programming issue or some such, so the dealer could charge an exorbitant amount to change it!

Final question: is it a standard watch battery type?
I strongly suspect that it will be a CR2032 - that is what goes on virtually all car key fobs - certainly is what was in my 2014 Outlander.

It may not matter with the Mitsubishi, but I generally try to complete the battery swap within a short period of time - a minute or two. For security purposes, the fob sends a sequence number in the unlock message - makes it more difficult for someone to spoof the command. The car knows what sequence number it last saw and any large discrepancy will be regarded as suspicious. I have had cars in the past for which it was necessary to go through a special resynchronization process if the battery was removed for too long.

Martin

I strongly suspect that it will be a CR2032 - that is what goes on virtually all car key fobs - certainly is what was in my 2014 Outlander.

It may not matter with the Mitsubishi, but I generally try to complete the battery swap within a short period of time - a minute or two. For security purposes, the fob sends a sequence number in the unlock message - makes it more difficult for someone to spoof the command. The car knows what sequence number it last saw and any large discrepancy will be regarded as suspicious. I have had cars in the past for which it was necessary to go through a special resynchronization process if the battery was removed for too long.

Martin
thanks. did just that and no issues. Thanks to all

Both my key remote fob things often need several presses before the doors will lock or unlock: I sometimes use the black button by the door handle in frustration! I would assume that this is because of low batteries, except that they are new and I haven't had an alert to change them. Any ideas out there please?
That does not sound like a battery problem because the battery is used when the door button is pressed.
As it happens with both fobs, it looks like the receiver in the car.
I'm not sure I can provide any further help other than suggest a visit to the dealer.

It is extremely easy. Open the case [follow the instructions in the handbook]. To open the case, you need to take out the spare key. [Do not lose this key]. Then carefully using a screwdriver, price open where grove is, it should then click open. Flick new battery in [this battery is common and easy to buy]. There is also a slide which you must slide down before pricing open. Make sure the battery and the cover is the way you open it. Clip it back [there should be a healthy click]. and slide the spare key back in. Job done. In any case, if you performed a comprehensive service, this battery will be replaced for you at approved agents.

Hi all. I'm grateful for all the responses here; I've been slow in getting back because I thought I'd get an email alert when someone has said something - and I forgot to check. My problem persists with both key fobs. Changing batteries is easy enough but I'm reluctant to do it until I get the message (which I have had before), and it doesn't seem to have anything to do with RANGE (i.e. the distance I am from the car). It sometimes helps to point the fob towards the wing mirrors rather than anywhere else!

BUT I have belatedly discovered a work around (and you're all going to think me very stupid): I often now use the little black oval shaped button beside the locks on both front doors, and as long as I have the key fob in my pocket or close, these work fine. I've had the car since August and I never noticed these buttons or realise what they did! Doh!!!!!!!!

Another possibly related problem is that I sometimes (not always) get a message on the screen saying "key not detected" when the thing is actually in my hand inside the car! Any theories about that welcome.

Key not detected (when the keyfob is present) typically means that the battery in the key fob is going flat.

Back