Replacing the Navigation System

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chasingamy

The Mitsu's nav system is so fiddly it just about unusable for to me.
Has anyone tried or heard of anyone installing/overwriting a useful nav system, Waze or even TomTom for example?

I have my trusty NAVIGON GPS mounted on the corner of the windscreen within fingertip reach. Being locked out of the system while moving for simple stuff is wrong.

I believe there is a Standard Horizon unit that will fit - it is offered as an option to be installed in GX3 models. I'm pretty sure you would lose the integration with the car's other systems.

On the Dutch forum a number of owners have installed a Pioneer system. They claimed the full functionality of MMCS was maintained.

On the other hand, once one has gotten used to the Mitsubishi system it is no more fiddly than other systems.
Just use it a bit and you will be comfortable with it.

I had a replacement Renault Megane for three weeks a few years ago. I never figured out how to use the integrated TomTom system during that time.

gwatpe said:
I have my trusty NAVIGON GPS mounted on the corner of the windscreen within fingertip reach. Being locked out of the system while moving for simple stuff is wrong.
Sorry, you lost me here. Could you elaborate?

jaapv said:
On the Dutch forum a number of owners have installed a Pioneer system. They claimed the full functionality of MMCS was maintained.

On the other hand, once one has gotten used to the Mitsubishi system it is no more fiddly than other systems.
Just use it a bit and you will be comfortable with it.

I had a replacement Renault Megane for three weeks a few years ago. I never figured out how to use the integrated TomTom system during that time.

My primary criticism of the MMCS is not the functionality, but the menu structure and inability to set shortcuts. To get from the navigation screen to the power management screens is several button presses and not particularly intuitive. Once you get there, the functionality of the screen is not bad.

Thanks. I’m not sure other systems are much better. From my photographic experiences I find that Japanese designers are prone to use convoluted menu systems that are overburdened with features and gimmicks. I guess cars are no different.

If anyone is going to replace the MMCS unit, I'd be VERY interested in buying it off your hands. The MMCS option is not available here in Greenland, but I think it looks good, if nothing else then for the graphics...

I'm planning on putting in a Pioneer CarPlay radio shortly. I'm in a GX3 so don't know about the other parts, but the Connects2 website has a box which apparently keeps all the car's original information, mentioning things like aircon and others, which show up in the new system's reverse parking window, so it should be possible to do it that way.

hdasmith i just looked and the only box that keeps aircon etc is for up to 2003 unless i am missing something.

I swapped mine and it is great but loose the car specific stuff.

But to be honest don't miss it as trip etc is on the main dash.

iansjones said:
hdasmith i just looked and the only box that keeps aircon etc is for up to 2003 unless i am missing something.

I swapped mine and it is great but loose the car specific stuff.

But to be honest don't miss it as trip etc is on the main dash.

That's a shame. Maybe something they're working on.

Back