[Thinking of buying a PHEV] Question around charging & boot

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbjbjb1

Hi everyone,

I test drove the PHEV last week & loved it. I have 2 concerns that stopped me from putting a deposit down, and wondered if anyone can help.

1. The charging - I can't charge at home (no off-street parking) or work (no parking) and there aren't many charging points around me at the moment. So - likely that it'll get charged only infrequently to begin with - does anyone know the MPG when the battery is drained? Am I crazy for wanting to buy the PHEV without a home/work charger?

2. The boot. Does anyone have any experience with fitting a pram (iCandy) in the boot? If so - is there any space left for other luggage, etc?

Thanks!

JB

As it sounds like your buying it yourself and its not a company car (so company car tax doesn't come into it) in which case your paying the fuel cost yourself too, then yes, crazy.

long run pretty fast, 32mpg, general mixed cruising 35mpg, driving really, really carefully, un-naturally so I can make 40mpg but its really boring!

You really should be looking at the diesel, same car, bigger boot and capable of 45 -55 mpg.

BobEngineer said:
As it sounds like your buying it yourself and its not a company car (so company car tax doesn't come into it) in which case your paying the fuel cost yourself too, then yes, crazy.

long run pretty fast, 32mpg, general mixed cruising 35mpg, driving really, really carefully, un-naturally so I can make 40mpg but its really boring!

You really should be looking at the diesel, same car, bigger boot and capable of 45 -55 mpg.

ditto!

Thanks for the replies -much appreciated.

We only do 5-6k per year, so not sure a diesel would be right for us. Sadly the council are not interested in investing in EV charging points, so I think the PHEV isn't an option for me until we move house & have off street parking!!

I don't think it's quite as bad as Bob paints it - and diesels seem likely to get heavily penalised in the not-too-distant future, so don't write it off so lightly. A lot depends on how much you need the 4WD in a large estate car - there are plenty of conventional cars that compete with, or beat the PHEV on fuel consumption if you don't charge it. Actually, even charging it several times per week, a small pure petrol car will beat it unless your usage is almost exclusively short journeys that can be done entirely on battery. A lot depends on your driving style and pattern - cruising at between 50 and 60mph, the PHEV can do around 40mpg even if you never plug it in at all. Take it up to 75 or 80mph, and that figure will get substantially worse.

Ours gets charged about three times per week - which is enough to allow me to do pretty much all my Monday to Friday miles on battery. But that is about five or six miles per day - each weekend we drive a couple of hundred miles, mostly on motorways and with no possibility of charging. I don't break speed limits ad generally cruise at around 60mph on motorways and dual carriageways. Since we bought it almost a year ago, it has averaged around 45mpg.

It seems to me that buying an expensive new diesel car is a bit of a gamble these days. The environmental lobby is up in arms about them and governments are looking for an easy target to improve their car usage related revenues as both hybrids and small conventional petrol cars begin to erode it. If you are confident that no government is going to introduce taxes or limitations on usage that penalise it to an unacceptable level within the next ten years, then go for a diesel Outlander. If you are not, then look at the PHEV, comparing it with the petrol versions of similar soft-roaders like the RR Evoque and others.

jbjbjb1 said:
Thanks for the replies -much appreciated.

We only do 5-6k per year, so not sure a diesel would be right for us. Sadly the council are not interested in investing in EV charging points, so I think the PHEV isn't an option for me until we move house & have off street parking!!

If you liked the car why not consider the Mitsubishi ASX instead? available with an efficient 1.6 petrol engine it will do 40mpg easy enough. Its smaller but doesn't have all the electronics robbing boot space like in the PHEV so actually only ends up being just 20 litres smaller. Its also pretty good value for its specifications. a LOT cheaper than a PHEV and I always think they look great.

If you're not going to use it as an electric car and only do 4-6k per year then why are you even considering a brand new car? Surely you would be better off buying second-hand and waiting to take the technology leap when you can charge at home and by then there will be more options available.

Never ever buy new unless you really have to!

I got a 6 month old Gx4 with 1500 miles for a steal from a local dealer. The first owner always takes the biggest hit on depreciation which makes nearly new models sourced on autotrader a real bargain. Especially if you're prepared to email say 10+ dealers and tell them what you'll pay - most dealers hate emailers as they cant sell to you or talk you round.

..but if you cant charge easily I wouldnt touch an EV of any sort. A bit like buying boat with no water to put it in?

Hi
Don't know if you particularly need a 4x4 but have you looked at the 7 seater Prius? Might be practical for a family and its a hybrid rather than plug in. We have 56 reg Prius that's done 150k miles and still drives like new. If you drive them gently you should get 60mpg. Just a thought.
I would save the phev till you can charge at home (and get some solar panels!).
Cheers
H

Back