WiFi not working after failed remote upgrade

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erikpo

Using the remote from an android phone, I've had a message the last days that the software on the car needs upgrading. So I started the upgrade this morning, but after being interrupted three times or so the WiFi from the car is simply switched off - checking for available networks the SSID is simply not there.

I guess I have to take it to the dealer - or do any of you have some nice tricks?

If no devices are registered then I believe the wifi is not activated. Perhaps it has lost the list of registered devices during the upgrade.

I would try registering your device again.

I found the upgrade 'failed' at 50%. The Phev also then dropped off the WiFi list at that point. A couple of mins later it reappeared on the list. I then checked the software upgrade and found it had updated. So my conclusion was that the error message was in itself an error and it updated properly, There is a message when you start the update that network comms will restore in about 10 mins.

CJ

Using my Android phone the update failed 4 times (usually around 50%) before eventually succeeding and each time I retried the car's wifi had 'disappeared'

After switching wifi off on the phone then back on again allowed the car's wifi to be available again.

My phone had a setting that meant that it would automatically connect to the house wifi if it was within range and it's likely this contributed to the failures because the success happened after that feature was disabled.

JimB

I deliberately did my upgrade out of range of my home or work wifi as I'd had problems last time there was an update. I got messages to say that the upgrade had failed and that too many devices were registered but it had actually upgraded properly and a reboot of the phone sorted the too many devices problem.

Updated mine today (MY16)

Updated fine while being in range of several of my home networks as well with no issues, only thing I noted was the need to tap the screen a few times to make sure that the screen lock did not kick in during the process

raymie said:
Updated mine today (MY16)

Updated fine while being in range of several of my home networks as well with no issues, only thing I noted was the need to tap the screen a few times to make sure that the screen lock did not kick in during the process

Both issues, failed twice in range of home wifi. Removed the wifi password so it couldn't do that. It got further and still failed - phone screen went off, noticed after I bought it back on that it had lost connection and was trying to reconnect.

One more try, tapping screen every 30 seconds to keep it awake. Completed OK. Seems it can fail either way.

Finally got mine to complete the update.

Probably failed at 50% ten times.

The only thing I can see that I did differently, the last time, was that I cleared the "You must read this message" screen that is displayed every time the satnav software starts up.

It's possible, in my case, that that message was timing out, and borking the update.

At least it is done now. :lol:

Andy

CJ1045 said:
I found the upgrade 'failed' at 50%. The Phev also then dropped off the WiFi list at that point. A couple of mins later it reappeared on the list. I then checked the software upgrade and found it had updated. So my conclusion was that the error message was in itself an error and it updated properly, There is a message when you start the update that network comms will restore in about 10 mins.

CJ

Yes, this is exactly what happened to me as well, I was just fed-up and didn't wait the 10mins for the communication to get restored... Next time I connected I expected to see the "Pls upgrade" message, when it didn't show up I tried to upgrade manually but the app suggested to upgrade with the same version that was already on the car.

This was my experience also, but I suspect that the upgrade didn't complete.

Once it finally worked, the upgrade process continued to update the progress bar, in 1% increments all the way up to 100%, and this took a considerable amount of time.

My best guess, is that you have a partial update and the remote software may be in an unstable state until you see the progress bar go all the way to 100%.

Andy

Back