New PHEV software released

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got it! :D . Many thanks for that, BeeJay. As you say, it's not exactly straightforward, at first, is it? Now to see if I can communicate with the car, which sits in a detached garage, about 15 metres away. I'm not optimistic, given the experience of other owners.

Great!

Before the software update, I used to hit it 2 or 3 times in the morning before I went out (turn on, wait 10 mins, turn on again) recently when it has been very cold.
The new variable length thing is much more handy, as at the moment a 20 min hit means I can get in and have the climate control on auto and the engine doesn't cut in as the thing is already at temperature so it doesn't have to work hard to maintain it.
Also a 20 min hit takes about another 10 mins after it finishes to top out the battery again before setting off on my 16Amp wall charger.

Managed to update the software successfully first time :mrgreen: ! Very useful to be able to pre-heat for 20 or 30 minutes.... Hopefully that means Mitsubishi are listening!
I also seem to be able to connect to the car from much further away :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Anyone with update problems disconnect all other wireless networks before update .. and it will work fine.....

Had a few WiFi issues while updating but it happened on the second attempt. WiFi seems to have improved now and the car was nice and toasty this morning due to the extra preheat time :D

I have updated my iPhone tonight, and will use it tomorrow.

I had a quick look at it, and one thing stood out as a bit odd. When you select 20 or 30 minutes heating time, a warning screen comes up "Longer operation of the climate control will further reduce the drive battery level."

I thought if the car was fully charged up (overnight) that the heating would be supplied directly by the 16A supply? Am I wrong, would it also draw down from the battery, as this would negate some of the benefit of using it?

So...

It does draw off the battery, but if you are on 16A it just about keeps up by charging almost as fast as it is taken out.

In my experience, a 20 min heat needs another 5 mins or so (sometimes 10) afterwards before the charging point switches back off again.

The point is, although the instant you start heating the point draws the full 3.1kW, it very quickly ramps down as it is effectively 'topping off the battery' and carefully balancing between cells - so when the battery is full or very near to full then it can't refill it as fast as it is being taken out. This balancing is not a simple task, hence why it can be between 5 and 10 minutes after finishing to get to full charge again, depending on temperature and other things...

It's also why the "time left to charge" shown in the app is never less than an hour, as it just doesn't really know!

englishman said:
Anyone with update problems disconnect all other wireless networks before update .. and it will work fine.....

My problem is actually downloading and installing the new software on the phone. When I try to do it on Play Store, it goes thru the steps but then comes up with "Error while retrieving information from server". Any idea????

Downloaded the new software on iphone and delighted. Took a couple of goes but got there in the end.
My wife leaves at 0745. I have had it run 0700-0730 for the last two mornings to give it 15 mins or so to top up battery.
With the previous 10 minute heat it was barely noticeable - she described it yesterday as "roasting".

upgrade worked fine forst time for me. kicks in at 7.00am on a 20 min cycle, and i open my door at around 7.15 to drive off. car is too hot for me at that point, but it settles down to the dialled in temp pretty soon. this is in this 'mild' snap, so it should be perfect if/when the mercury drops again.

those in northern europe and canada/northern us states are going to need this functionality.

ufo said:
englishman said:

My problem is actually downloading and installing the new software on the phone. When I try to do it on Play Store, it goes thru the steps but then comes up with "Error while retrieving information from server". Any idea????

Had to hard reset the phone then it downloaded and installed fine also updated the vehicle software too. :D

ufo said:
ufo said:
englishman said:

Had to hard reset the phone then it downloaded and installed fine also updated the vehicle software too. :D

I haven't yet bothered even trying to download the original app, as I have regular travel patterns so preheat via timers in the MMCS. However, it seems I am missing out on VEHICLE software updates. I assume these can only be implmented via the app? Exactly what vehicle software updates would be made if I were to instal the latest app? For example, would I be able to set 20 and 30 minute preheat cycles using the MMCS? Thanks.

DrSlackBladder said:
Exactly what vehicle software updates would be made if I were to instal the latest app? For example, would I be able to set 20 and 30 minute preheat cycles using the MMCS?

Just been outside to mine to check quickly.

Short answer is - No.

In my MMCS there is nowhere I can see in the climate timer section to change the cycle time, despite me having done the update.

So it would appear you can only do it through the mobile app.

Updated on the day it was released, and I must say it makes a very big difference here in Norway at the moment.

With the 10 min cycle previously, the ICE would kick in immediately when I started the car when the outside temps was below 3 degrees celsius.

With the new 30 min heating, I can commute all the way to work at a few below 0 degrees celsius without the ICE ever kicking in.

As an added bonus the communication between the car and the app seems to be a lot faster on my iPhone 6 plus here.

Now we need them to address the issue with using a fixed channel for WiFi connectivity. (Channel 3 which has interference from both channel 1 and 6, drastically shortening the effective reach of the WiFi in a crowded air space.)

-KJ

BeeJay said:
DrSlackBladder said:
Exactly what vehicle software updates would be made if I were to instal the latest app? For example, would I be able to set 20 and 30 minute preheat cycles using the MMCS?

Short answer is - No.

In my MMCS there is nowhere I can see in the climate timer section to change the cycle time, despite me having done the update.

I think you are wrong here; if you set the preheat in the app to 30 mins, I think it will stay on for 30 mins even through the timed preheat set from the MMCS. I don't think the car discerns between timers set from the app or from the MMCS.

Treat this for what it is; I have not tested it.

-KJ

jevel said:
BeeJay said:
DrSlackBladder said:

Short answer is - No.

I think you are wrong here; if you set the preheat in the app to 30 mins, I think it will stay on for 30 mins even through the timed preheat set from the MMCS. I don't think the car discerns between timers set from the app or from the MMCS.

Treat this for what it is; I have not tested it.

-KJ

Fair point, but he states he has never installed the app...

And goes on to ask about if he installed the app, would he be able to choose extended heating time on the MMSC.

My answer is the same as yours; no, but that he would be able to set it from the app and still use the prolonged preheat. ;)

-KJ

jevel said:
And goes on to ask about if he installed the app, would he be able to choose extended heating time on the MMSC.

My answer is the same as yours; no, but that he would be able to set it from the app and still use the prolonged preheat. ;)

-KJ

On re-reading, you are right - sorry!

BeeJay said:
jevel said:

-KJ

On re-reading, you are right - sorry!

Thanks - still don't think I'll bother with the app just yet, one preheat cycle is fine for me unless we have a bad cold spell!

Daft question :oops:

I attempted to use the pre-heat function this morning, for the first time.
Set the timers on the phone, and loaded them to the car yesterday. Checked the MMCS screen, and noticed the "off" was light blue on the days I'd set the timer. I assume this light-blue is "on"?

...the reason I ask... got in the car this morning, 15 minutes after the warming up was supposed to begin (I'd set the timer to 20 minutes). And... nothing. Absolutely freezing still.

Just to make sure I"ve set the timers right, could someone confirm that when OFF is highlighted in light blue, that means 'ON'?

thanks

Back