PHEV GX4h - As a Company Car

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Driver5

Hello, new to the forum,

Been looking at a PHEV GX4h as a company car, not drove one yet but been to a local dealer for a look around one and liking so far, more so from a BIK point of view.

From reading pages and pages of threads on the forum, my only 2 concerns seem to be MPG on petrol only on a long run and BHP when the batteries are flat. (is it only 120bhp from the NA petrol unit ? )

Coming from a 5 series, its got a lot of work to do to tick the boxes. i dont do any business miles, so the full fuel cost will be coming out of my pocket.

My commute is between 4 miles and upto 10 miles when I include school runs 3 times a week with no access to charge at work. Ideally I woul like to do all my local driving on battery, but im thinking when the commute is done, get home, put it on charge, unplug, supermarket on petrol (VERY hilly around me and my current diesel 5 serieis only pulls max 28-30mpg avg local due to the terrian and warm up times).

As you can see, im trying to decide if this is the right car for my needs or just a big petrol drinker which i will have to live with for 4 years.

So, any thoughts.... :D

Thanks for reading.

I found myself in the same situation as you Merc E250 costing about £470 (inc fuel) a month in tax. So at the time Aug 2014 I was looking around for something spacious but with a lower BIK. Up pops the PHEV and it seemed to tick all the boxes, I tried to get the new Hybrid E class Merc but was over my lease limit. Lots of cars now around the 85-99 co2 but they were too small or just not what wanted like you, for the next 4 years. So if I can't have the car I really wanted I would at least try and get a good car at the best deal for my pocket. The money I save far out ways any drawback of the PHEV and to be honest there are not many and no car is perfect. Is it as fast as the Merc? No but it is no slouch off the line considering how much it weighs and is certainly quicker than the stats suggest (we timed mine at 0-60 in 9.5 secs) Don't forget in a traffic queue you are going as fast as everyone else regardless of what they have got! Is it as well made as a Merc or BMW? No but it's not far off by any means.

However who is going to pay for your fuel? if the company is then the car is a no brainer to save on your BIK. If you pay for the fuel my only warning is it is thirsty compared to a diesel. But charging every night will offset the odd longer journey.

Knowing what I know now about the car would I choose it again?................ Yes I would.

I hope this helps, 4 years is a long time to be stuck with a car and the tax on the PHEV for the next 4 years is still very low. You could do what I did and with the monthly saving got a nice fast Bike!!!

Sharky said:
I found myself in the same situation as you Merc E250 costing about £470 (inc fuel) a month in tax. So at the time Aug 2014 I was looking around for something spacious but with a lower BIK. Up pops the PHEV and it seemed to tick all the boxes, I tried to get the new Hybrid E class Merc but was over my lease limit. Lots of cars now around the 85-99 co2 but they were too small or just not what wanted like you, for the next 4 years. So if I can't have the car I really wanted I would at least try and get a good car at the best deal for my pocket. The money I save far out ways any drawback of the PHEV and to be honest there are not many and no car is perfect. Is it as fast as the Merc? No but it is no slouch off the line considering how much it weighs and is certainly quicker than the stats suggest (we timed mine at 0-60 in 9.5 secs) Don't forget in a traffic queue you are going as fast as everyone else regardless of what they have got! Is it as well made as a Merc or BMW? No but it's not far off by any means.

However who is going to pay for your fuel? if the company is then the car is a no brainer to save on your BIK. If you pay for the fuel my only warning is it is thirsty compared to a diesel. But charging every night will offset the odd longer journey.

Knowing what I know now about the car would I choose it again?................ Yes I would.

I hope this helps, 4 years is a long time to be stuck with a car and the tax on the PHEV for the next 4 years is still very low. You could do what I did and with the monthly saving got a nice fast Bike!!!

Cheers Sharky, it sounds like im just an echo of the questions you asked yourself pre PHEV. ... my honest concern is the fuel mpg as it will be ALL funded from my pocket as i dont do any business mileage, (done 200 in last 3 years!).

as you say, im not really finding anything which ticks the boxes to replace the BMW and everything is a compare to that, where as a PHEV is not comparable and something "different".

Its just the 4 years bit.....

One other question... if i get a demo for a weekend... how would I charge it? normal plug and a extension lead from my garage ?

Thanks

It comes with a cable that plugs into a standard 13A socket - though the charge time will be high.

Using a normal socket and extension lead for the weekend will not be a problem, just remember to unwind it all while in use. You should get the 13amp charging lead with the car.

Driver5 just to throw anther thought into the mix, at the time it was the only 4x4 plugin and having taken it off the beaten track a few times now it is a capable 4x4. Something my Merc and your BMW could not do!

Sharky said:
Driver5 just to throw anther thought into the mix, at the time it was the only 4x4 plugin and having taken it off the beaten track a few times now it is a capable 4x4. Something my Merc and your BMW could not do!

Ideal for camping then :)

I've got it on a 3 year lease and I'm very happy. I'll be honest, my driving style has relaxed to suit the vehicle, I don't often slam the loud pedal.

In the winter I get 20 miles out of a full charge (lights, heater, wipers, music etc) but in the summer that was 28-30. The weekends dad taxi runs with top up charges meant I was doing 50 miles a day on EV. I did 2,000 miles before my first refuel.

But outside of EV, it's 35mpg in the winter. Oh, and if you have a heavy right foot or want the power, it'll make the ICE run more often. You'll see on the demo.

Oh, and the fuel tank is small so don't panic if it goes from full to half in 150 miles!

If you are comparing to a 5 series, I don't think you are comparing the right things. Compare the 5 series to the PHEV with £12,000 on the back seat. Isn't that roughly the price difference in your wallet after 4 years? (Bik plus cheaper lease). That was quick maths at 11:30pm might be wrong!

Enjoy the demo drive. Bet you love it.
HJB

As to BHP when the batteries are flat, no worry, the electronics are smart enough to play the combustion engine against reserve battery power to maintain full BHP.

Driver 5, I also switched from BMW 5 company car to PHEV, last November. I have no regrets and would make the same decision again. I also have to keep the car for 4 yrs, the only difference to you is that my company pay all petrol and electricity costs I incur. A few weeks ago I posted my thoughts after a couple of months of ownership; pros and cons against the BMW.......http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=942

Enjoy the test drive!

......just to add a comment regarding Driver5's concerns about power.....of course it's not as quick as the BMWs, and it's not quick off the mark, but with the acceleration being linear up to beyond 70mph, performance is actually quite satisfying if you floor it between about 40 and 70 mph; as long as you don't mind listening to the engine working hard! I don't do it regularly but when a turn of speed is required, it's pretty impressive for a two tonne AWD.

aitchjaybee said:
I've got it on a 3 year lease and I'm very happy. I'll be honest, my driving style has relaxed to suit the vehicle, I don't often slam the loud pedal.

In the winter I get 20 miles out of a full charge (lights, heater, wipers, music etc) but in the summer that was 28-30. The weekends dad taxi runs with top up charges meant I was doing 50 miles a day on EV. I did 2,000 miles before my first refuel.

But outside of EV, it's 35mpg in the winter. Oh, and if you have a heavy right foot or want the power, it'll make the ICE run more often. You'll see on the demo.

Oh, and the fuel tank is small so don't panic if it goes from full to half in 150 miles!

If you are comparing to a 5 series, I don't think you are comparing the right things. Compare the 5 series to the PHEV with £12,000 on the back seat. Isn't that roughly the price difference in your wallet after 4 years? (Bik plus cheaper lease). That was quick maths at 11:30pm might be wrong!

Enjoy the demo drive. Bet you love it.
HJB

Thanks - I think one of the reasons for going down this route is that its different.

Currently my 5 series is privately owned outright, so no BIK on that.

jaapv said:
As to BHP when the batteries are flat, no worry, the electronics are smart enough to play the combustion engine against reserve battery power to maintain full BHP.

Thanks for confirming this.

DrSlackBladder said:
Driver 5, I also switched from BMW 5 company car to PHEV, last November. I have no regrets and would make the same decision again. I also have to keep the car for 4 yrs, the only difference to you is that my company pay all petrol and electricity costs I incur. A few weeks ago I posted my thoughts after a couple of months of ownership; pros and cons against the BMW.......http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=942

Enjoy the test drive!

Thanks - just read your thread and answers a lot of the questions..

DrSlackBladder said:
......just to add a comment regarding Driver5's concerns about power.....of course it's not as quick as the BMWs, and it's not quick off the mark, but with the acceleration being linear up to beyond 70mph, performance is actually quite satisfying if you floor it between about 40 and 70 mph; as long as you don't mind listening to the engine working hard! I don't do it regularly but when a turn of speed is required, it's pretty impressive for a two tonne AWD.

Thanks for confirming, im not expecting for it to be as quick or drive the same, just dont want to feel is screaming when wanting any power.

Thanks all for your input, it really helps.

Thanks

Back