Preheating cancelled by opening boot

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daff

Layer of frozen snow stuck to windscreen this morning. No problem, start preheat in demist mode via the app, and after 10 minutes the layer of snow next to the glass will be softer so it will clear off easier. So now I want to get my snow scraper out of the boot. But opening the boot cancels the preheating, and I have to go through all the fuss of using the app to start it up again.

Is there a way to stop it from cancellation on unlock? It would be better to at least wait until I start the car up.

Steve

Smart? Not smart? I wouldn't want the heater to burn precious electrons while the doors are open either ;) Either way, from my understanding, it is what it is.

Indeed, requires the app to restart. I have modded my fobs last year, adding the instant preheat button. Works so well (drive way is right next to my kitchen window), I don't use the app at all. And don't bother with setting timers either. Wouldn't that work for you?

I have the thought about the key modification but haven't had time to give it a try. I think that I would want to add the missing switch rather than jumper the existing one, so as to retain the timer override feature (not that I am using timed charges at the moment, but I might move to an advantageous tarriff at some point).

When you trigger the preheat with the fob button, do you get any sort of confirmation that it has worked? Light flash or something?

Steve

Daff said:
Layer of frozen snow stuck to windscreen this morning. No problem, start preheat in demist mode via the app, and after 10 minutes the layer of snow next to the glass will be softer so it will clear off easier. So now I want to get my snow scraper out of the boot. But opening the boot cancels the preheating, and I have to go through all the fuss of using the app to start it up again.

Is there a way to stop it from cancellation on unlock? It would be better to at least wait until I start the car up.

Steve
Keep the scraper next to your boots and scarf in the hallway?

Daff said:
When you trigger the preheat with the fob button, do you get any sort of confirmation that it has worked? Light flash or something?

Steve
Now, this evening, I took apart my spare key fob and temporarily did this mod, by removing the PCB, holding the battery in place and shorting out (twice, quickly) the SW4 contacts (or was it 3, I forgot to note it). By the way this is on a 2014 GX4H model keyfob without the "Timer charge termination" button, just the "Lock", "Unlock", and "Tailgate " buttons. It worked, but I didn't notice the three indicator flashes mentioned in the thread about this hack. Perhaps that applies to later models? Anyway, I've ordered up some parts and will do the mod properly at a later date.

You may be right. I was in my brightly lit garage, trying to hold the PCB and battery together while executing a double short circuit of the switch position with an inappropriately sized screwdriver! :D

Back