Suggestions - How Mitsubishi might improve PHEV

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uptodat

I don't know how much, if any, attention Mitsubishi Customer Services would pay to owners' forums (perhaps existing Mitsu owners can advise), but have already noted how quickly they act on social media postings.
Nissan Uk's outsourced and arms length customer services certainly had a very bad reputation on forums.
I would have thought that sensible posts on sites such as this one could be of great value to manufacturers intent on continuous improvement, and being responsive to customers' views of their products.
Sometimes it takes years, perhaps after a service or breakdown, for an owner to discover little niggles that could be ironed out by simple modifications, but generally I think that the first month or so of ownership, when comparing with a previous vehicle, and before accommodating the new car's little irritations, is a good time to note down what improvements could be made in the face-lifted version. Doubtless an active forum could show support or otherwise for posted suggestions.
I still await the arrival of my PHEV but am already wondering about the absence of a power outlet in the rear - (Xtrail's multiple power sockets allow for very useful front and rear dashcams).
One enduring irritant on the Xtrail though was the plipper design, with proud open button and recessed close button - unlike the logical, failsafe reverse lay-out on my Toyota - which meant that the car would be locked on the "magic door button" and inadvertently unlocked by jiggling keys in a pocket when walking away.
What irks fellow "Phevers" so far?

Hi,

Pet peeves are:

ECO mode not being remembered
Not being able to read received texts on MMCS
MMCS not remembering the last screen displayed

Kind regards
Mark

I just wish there had been more options with regard to the interior of the vehicle. For instance, I would have been happy to pay extra to have a proper leather interior (as opposed to leather faced), better panelling etc.. Would have also paid more to get a better multi media system with a faster processor.

More options on the colours as well.

Other than that I am fairly happy with it. Bit irritating that every evening when I get home I have to get out of the car, get the cable out, plug it into the charger and make sure its charging. Look forward to the day wireless charging will be available on my driveway but that's a bit in the future :D

Agree re speed of multifunction screen thing, and re eco setting.

Also - checking its charging: Given I like to unplug it when its finished, I have to go out into the garage and peer in to see if the red light is on on the dash. The green light on the charge point doesn't even go out when finished. Would be nice to have a more visible way to see at a glance - maybe an led on the holster part that goes in the car? And no, the app doesn't connect in the house! If it worked on the house wifi network you could set a bong for when it finished so you could pop out and unplug it. Should I not worry and just leave it plugged in? (I haven't charged overnight yet - I usually unplug when I put the chickens to bed!).

I'd like the boot open button inside the car to work for say 10 seconds after turning the power off, I think it doesn't work if the power is off. I'd like to press it on my way out of the car so its open when I get there rather than either finding the keys or pressing the button on the boot itself.

The manual could be easier to use - e.g. where is the eco setting information? - not in the index under "eco"!

And I would have liked the choice of a more striking colour.

Love the car though!
H

There is no reason to unplug the cable when charging is finished, the car stops charging automatically and it draws hardly any current at all when finished.
The boot open button works after the car has been shut of, hold the button pressed for a second or so and the boot will open.
The wifi range of the car can be extended with a simple wifi range extender located near your car.

Like others, much of my list comprises software changes so very do-able should Mitsubishi pay attention to these forums.

1. The ability to set a default screen to save multiple button presses every time you press the start button. Or at least to force the system to start with the same screen that was open on last use (in the same way that the audio always goes back to the last source).
2. An option to default to B? mode instead of having to remember each time.
3. More options for the reset periods for EV %, mpg, miles/kWh. What I really want is a long term figure but if I understand the manual correctly it resets itself every 4 hours or so which is not very representative of overall use. 95% of the time I get --.-- for mpg :roll:
4. An all encompassing fuel cost - a bit like the long term charge cost history but including petrol. The car could sense when and how much fuel has been added and ask you for the cost/litre when you press start perhaps?
5. An LED indicator for charging/full as per Hypermiler but for different reasons - twice now I've got as far as plugging the vehicle in but failed to switch on at the mains :oops:
6. LED light bulbs all round.
7. A 'gearstick' which is somewhat more intuitive - I'm still not sure I know how to use it properly after 2 weeks :shock:

I would also have liked some better quality materials, more colour-ways etc. but on the other hand in some respects I'm quite happy not to have too many options as I always tend to be a sucker for all those toys that drive the price right up!

To reset the MpG screen etc. press and hold the display mode button.
When plugging in the light under the charging port flap will flash three times when the connection is made.

I also recommend the EVSE cable, it has the LED on the handle so you can see if it's still charging or not. It's also possible to adjust the load between 6/10/16A
http://www.charge-amps.com/um-evse-v2

When plugging in the light under the charging port flap will flash three times when the connection is made.
I don't want to reset it, I want to stop it from resetting itself - what I'm really interested in it's what's it costing to run over 1000, 2000 miles etc, not over the last 4 hours.

And the light under the charging port flap can't be seen in daylight and goes off after a short while (adjustable I know) - what I want is to be able to look out the front door and see at a glance if it's plugged in (and switched on!) or not.

maddogsetc said:

I don't want to reset it, I want to stop it from resetting itself - what I'm really interested in it's what's it costing to run over 1000, 2000 miles etc, not over the last 4 hours.

Hi,

You can change the reset mode from auto to manual and then the MPG only resets when you manually reset it. I intend to use this to record MPG between tank refills although it may be usefull on long journeys to see the MPG.

Kind regards,
Mark

You can change the reset mode from auto to manual and then the MPG only resets when you manually reset it. I intend to use this to record MPG between tank refills although it may be usefull on long journeys to see the MPG.
Hi Mark, thanks - I've just re-read the manual after seeing your comment :idea: . I assume that I must have been in 'auto' reset mode all along, so will make sure I have it switched to manual next time I go out :oops: .

A manual in simple, grammatically correct, english would go along way to making my life easier while learning to drive this car. Also removal from the manual of features not included such as alarm on lane drifting.
The headlight washer is cutesy but...
In general I agree with the comments on the Communications system and would love a system update yesterday.
10 days in and still learning.

Hi Mark, thanks - I've just re-read the manual after seeing your comment :idea: . I assume that I must have been in 'auto' reset mode all along, so will make sure I have it switched to manual next time I go out :oops: .
Well, either I'm being really stupid or this reset thing is b@@@@@ks :?: So I switched to Manual reset, shut it down and left it on charge for an hour. Came back and set off with about 33% charge and a 20 mile round trip to do. At some point later I checked the Eco screen, lo and behold it's gone back to Auto reset, so I switched it back to Manual again. Parked up and switched off whilst I fetched my son from Rugby, what do I find when I get back and restart? You've guessed it - Auto reset :evil: So what is the f*****g point of having a Manual reset option if every time you turn off it automatically switches to Auto :?: :?: :?:

Anyway, I switched it back over to Manual and put it into Eco screen so I could see what mpg it would register for the 2nd leg of the trip, given that the battery was empty. And this is what I get: So what on earth is the point of an mpg readout if all it ever tells you is 0.0 mpg?

This is one part of the MMCS that needs an urgent overhaul. Or is it me?

maddogsetc said:
Well, either I'm being really stupid or this reset thing is b@@@@@ks :?: So I switched to Manual reset, shut it down and left it on charge for an hour. Came back and set off with about 33% charge and a 20 mile round trip to do. At some point later I checked the Eco screen, lo and behold it's gone back to Auto reset, so I switched it back to Manual again. Parked up and switched off whilst I fetched my son from Rugby, what do I find when I get back and restart? You've guessed it - Auto reset :evil: So what is the f*****g point of having a Manual reset option if every time you turn off it automatically switches to Auto :?: :?: :?:

Anyway, I switched it back over to Manual and put it into Eco screen so I could see what mpg it would register for the 2nd leg of the trip, given that the battery was empty. And this is what I get: So what on earth is the point of an mpg readout if all it ever tells you is 0.0 mpg?

This is one part of the MMCS that needs an urgent overhaul. Or is it me?

I don't understand your problem. There are two screens: Auto and manual. The auto screen is reset everytime you have the car unused for i think 4 hours. The manual screen is only reset when you press the reset button.
You switch between the two screens with the auto/manual btton

That's not how it works. At least not in my car. If I set it to Manual, it 'resets' itself to Auto (and therefore loses all the data after 4 hours) every time I turn the car off. So Manual, isn't Manual at all ie. I have two Auto modes and no Manual mode.

maddogsetc said:
That's not how it works. At least not in my car. If I set it to Manual, it 'resets' itself to Auto (and therefore loses all the data after 4 hours) every time I turn the car off. So Manual, isn't Manual at all ie. I have two Auto modes and no Manual mode.

So you mean you can't switch back to manual mode by pressing the Manual button? That sounds like an error, like it loses memory or someting???

And maddogs - was that 62 miles per kWh? how did you do that? Mine runs between 2 and 9 normally - no idea what it means as seems to fluctuate wildly from 1 minute to the next despite supposedly being an average. I've not dared mess with this part of the computer yet and have no idea/control over the figures. As long as I'm on 100% ev I'm fine - but going to Germany next week, the mpg will become a bit more important - altho I think I'd rather not know if its going to be in the 30s!
H

I've started a new thread on this as I didn't want to derail this one. But in essence I can switch to Manual Mode, but it won't stay in Manual Mode - it goes back to Auto Mode every time the car is switched off and back on. See other thread for more details.

Hypermiler - my miles per kWh varies wildly too, in fact I can't get any sense out of the 'average' figures for electric or petrol consumption. But that may all be down to the reset mode not working as it should :? .

Other suggestions:

Make the rear centre seat belt socket less obtrusive and uncomfortable - ruins the 3rd seat in my view, and I'm slim.

Make the centre arm rest/storage thing in the front longer so it comes forward more - if you are smallish and so have your seat reasonably forward you can barely get your elbow on it. Perhaps reposition the heated seats buttons and change the handbrake to push button to give more room for the centre arm rest.

Air vents for passengers in the back - don't think there are any.

Better speakers - they seem to be set for knee level listening!

A 6 disc cd player - I'm finding the SD card method difficult to navigate and I can't be bothered to change a single cd every time or have them floating around in the car.

Hi,

A new annoyance since I got the car. If you turn the power on using ACC to listen to music or set the satnav while awaiting other people to join you, and then press the brake pedal and the power switch to turn things "on", there is a power reset to all accessories so the satnav reboots for example.

Kind regards,
Mark

Back