Suggestions - How Mitsubishi might improve PHEV

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Mark,

More because I don't understand the difference not yet owning my phev, but in practice for the situation you describe why would you sit in ACC rather than just "on". Surely when on nothing more is happening than the accessories being on until you press the accelerator?

Or is there a more fundamental difference in the modes that I'm not aware of?

As a sideline - and a question for Maddogs - did you ever resolve the issue of mobile phone calls coming out the wrong speaker (a hang over from foreign markets)?

R

:?: :?: ACC= Adaptive Cruise Control, which is not a "mode" of the vehicle, but a feature one can use for motorway driving. It can be activated above 25 MpH.

Btw, I have a lefthand drive car and the telephone comes from the wrong i.e.righthand speaker...

Doesn't ACC also refer to the intermediate state when you start the car - which I believe is the mode you have to put it in to pair the phone app. This presumably stands for accessory mode when in this context and I believe it is this that Mark was referring to...

rjs104 said:
Doesn't ACC also refer to the intermediate state when you start the car - which I believe is the mode you have to put it in to pair the phone app. This presumably stands for accessory mode when in this context and I believe it is this that Mark was referring to...

Hi

Yes, I meant accessory mode. You would use this mode when you aren't expecting to drive for a while such as waiting for someone. The advantage is that you aren't depleting the drive battery at all for no good reason.

Kind regards
Mark

Hi Mark,

Cool - yes that's what I thought in terms of mode.

I don't understand what drive power would be used if you're not actually driving anywhere (but are in "full" start mode). I should think one of the eco points of an EV was that when stopped there was no drive power being consumed (unlike an ICE ticking over - such as when stopped in traffic)

But as I say, this is probably down to my lack of knowledge - hence why I'm asking. Just curious :)

Cheers,

Richard.

Hi,

My previous car was a Prius Plug-in and because the EV range was displayed to the first decimel point you could see it ticking down 0.1 mile every 10-15 minutes or so. Quicker if the A/C was on. I simply got into the habit of being in ACC mode if I wasn't setting off straight away. You would need to be in READY mode in old and new cars if you wanted the A/C on anyway.

With the Outlander having a bigger battery, and resetting the power to accessories when switching from ACC to READY, I will indeed just use READY mode from now on.

Kind regards,
Mark

One thing I haven't yet fathomed - if, like Mark, I put the car in ACC mode first for something or other and then decide to get going, if I then put it into drive mode (ie. blue start button light) from ACC mode it then won't let me put it into gear :? So I then have to turn off completely and then restart with my foot on the brake to go directly into drive mode.

A minor irritation but an irritation nonetheless :?

maddogsetc said:
One thing I haven't yet fathomed - if, like Mark, I put the car in ACC mode first for something or other and then decide to get going, if I then put it into drive mode (ie. blue start button light) from ACC mode it then won't let me put it into gear :? So I then have to turn off completely and then restart with my foot on the brake to go directly into drive mode.

Hi,

Are you pressing the brake pedal when pressing the power button a second time to go from ACC to READY? This worked fine for me as once in READY mode you can select D (with the brake depressed of course) and then drive off.

At least, that worked for me, and is when I discovered changing from ACC to READY resets the MMSC & other 12v devices.

Kind regards,
Mark

I see, you mean standby. There are a few more ways to prevent the car from wasting battery power. Either keep the brake pedal depressed firmly or operate the N button to put it in neutral.

jaapv said:
I see, you mean standby. There are a few more ways to prevent the car from wasting battery power. Either keep the brake pedal depressed firmly or operate the N button to put it in neutral.

Hi,

Neither of those choices saves any power compared to just being in P mode. When the car is in READY mode it simply uses a little drive battery power to keep the main electrical system, brakes, power steering, charging 12v system all powered up. In ACC mode only the 12v equipment is live.

However, as I mentioned before, the drain is small and the Outlander's battery is so large I'm not using ACC mode anymore especially since switching from ACC to READY resets the equipment.

As an aside, the A/C seems to use quite a lot of power. My EV distance dropped from 30 miles to 24 miles with light use of the A/C in very similar driving.

Kind regards
Mark

.... and presumably, those 12v accessories will be draining from the aux 12v battery whilst in ACC mode, which as soon as you're in proper drive mode will be topped up either by the battery or the ICE, at which point you haven't actually "saved" anything by being in ACC versus Ready, merely shifted when the energy is being regenerated.

R

I agree that the power drain of the MMCS on the 12v system will be replaced when READY mode is chosen.

What I'm saying is that being in READY mode powers up more things than when you are simply in ACC mode such as brakes, power steering, DRL's, engine management system, and all the other various safety systems that simply aren't needed in ACC mode.

But, I agree that this modest power saving isn't worth while with the Outlander having such a large Battery and it resetting the equipment when you do enter READY mode.

Kind regards
Mark

Changed my diesel T31 Xtrail for a GX4h on 4.7.14 and generally very impressed.
Have been sending myself to sleep slogging through the 2 manuals but have a long way to go. They are written as guides for idiots I suppose, so I should be OK, but after hours of fruitless poring, I could find no explanation for a little orange light by the sunroof switch, and I pose the question in another thread.
In directly comparing old and new, the glaring difference is the satnav. The Xtrail had workable voice activation and steering wheel mounted scroll and back buttons which made programming fairly easy and possible on the move. The audio volume controls also worked on the satnav voice when directions were spoken.
Doubtless I'll get used to the MMCS but it seems far less intuitive, a bit of a fiddle when stationary and certainly not worth risking on the move. I haven't found how to adjust the volume en route.
Like others, I have sat on ACC and programmed a destination - discovering the postcode no house number issue along the way - then gone to ready mode and lost it (or rather set destination and temper).
I was pleased to find a power socket splitter in the forward socket, and the one in the stowage box, allowed me to plumb in front rear dashcams, and after nocturnal bleepings of powered tail gate movements, found the power off switch to be a considerate neighbour.
I'm a happy paddler now too.

I have only owned it for 1 day but already i would change:-

1:- The front seats, although reasonably comfortable they need more of a bucket effect to hold you in place.
2:- The centre console needs to be able to slide to allow you to rest your arm on it when driving. Come to think of it an armrest might cure point 1 above.
3:- The manual, the index at the back is neither use nor ornament.
4:- As mentioned before the auto/manual mpg configuration.

It's not really an armrest though its the lid of the centre box but it doesn't move forward enough. I'm 6' tall so its not like I have the seat pulled forward. I can only imagine how useless it would be for shorter folk.

Hi,

I would like to see the feature whereby you can keep depressed the lock button on the keyfob to fully close any open windows and the sunroof. In reverse, I'd like to be able to open all windows/sunroof with the unlock button.

It is annoying to lockup the car to find a window partially down and it would be great to start the cooling down of the car by opening the windows on a hot day.

Vauxall have done this for a very long time (at least for the windows). My daughter recently got a Vauxall Corsa which does this which is what reminded me.

Kind regards,
Mark

^^^^^
+1
Absolutely! The two things I miss from my Ford s-max are that and the heated front window. Hoping the preheating will help in the winter. Won't help with the de-misting though... :cry:

Hi,

I wish that the button that is used to swap between the displays (on the display between the speedo and power meter) was placed on the steering wheel.

Kind regards,
Mark

jdsx said:
Hoping the preheating will help in the winter. Won't help with the de-misting though... :cry:
Hi,

Sorry, just noticed this. Although I haven't used it yet I believe you can set the car to cool, heat, or demist on the timer.

Kind regards,
Mark

Back