Thin paint on the Phev

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowball

I have washed the phev every second week or so through the cold season.
Today I had a closer look on the paint and it was not good. Several stone chips on the bonnet and on the drivers side.
What worries me is that the paint has chipped of in areas of several millimeters. I have seen on the Norwegian forum that a couple of peoples has got mitsu to re-paint without cost. They admit that the paint is on the "thin side"
Btw, mine is black.

There have been quite a few complaints about the black paint being soft and easily damaged on the Dutch forum. My dealer insisted on delivering the car with a protective coating as he found Mitsubishi paints not the most resistant. I can only say that my grey 1013 car running to 40.000 Km has very few blemishes.

We have had the car since February, and the amount of stone chips is unbelievable. My 11 year old Citroen paintwork looks better. Car is black and has stone chips along the side as well as the bonnet. Paint is very thin and very easily marked. Not something you would expect from a car the cost £35k plus. Got to the point I think I need to speak to Mitsubishi as only 6 months in and the front of the car looks as if it's been driven through a gravel pit. At this rate there won't be any paint left to worry about in a year or so.

Mine is the same 10 months in black & the amount of fine scratches & rub marks is unbelievable. It doesnt help when the primer underneath is white. Mitsu dealer has had a look at the 1st service & stated that its normal. My wifes BMW has done over 100k & looks in better nick.

I have the same problem, had it nearly 10 months and must have about 25 chips on the bonnet.

Mines White, took it into my local dealer, guy was interested, even before he looked he said its normal stone chips.

as anyone got anywhere with this?

There seems to be an issue. I had to take my '15 PHEV in to a body shop today where the gent who checked me in said that this was the 2nd Outlander that he had seen with such a peppering on the bonnet: so much so that he asked his boss to come and look. His boss confirmed the fact that paint looks as if it is flaking - not stone chips.

Only had my MY16 Ruby Black GX4 for a couple of months and it already several 'stone chips' - doesn't bode well for my four year contract! Is definitely much worse than my previous vehicle. :oops:

They couldn't put any more paint on it as the metal is so thin it would sag under the weight.. :lol: its panels make my CR-V seem like a Hummer in comparison.

Outlanders have always been the same, our C-Crosser (rebadged old Outlander) is covered in dimple dents from a freak HAIL STORM!!! we want to sell it but its going to cost a fortune to fix.

The rate I am getting paint chips by the end of lease my car will look like a prop for the next Mad Max film. I now also have a big chip in the windscreen that will need replacing too. A big construction lorry joined the motorway ahead of me without proper covers and something blew off the top and bounced into me.

Am I worried? fortunately not, company car and the company don't want to pay damage fees on return to the lease company so are happy for it to go into the bodyshop and get everything fixed just before.

BobEngineer said:
They couldn't put any more paint on it as the metal is so thin it would sag under the weight.. :lol: its panels make my CR-V seem like a Hummer in comparison.

:) I'm glad it is not only me - the bodywork is rather reminiscent of tin foil!

The black paint and to a lesser extent white seem to attract quite a few complaints in this area. The greys, silver, etc are fine.
As for the thin panels, that is the new safety norm across the industry: Soft shell - hard core Lots of plastic bodypanels too. You'll be thankful should you ever get involved in a major crash.

Coming from a Yeti who's doors go CLUNK when you slam them to the PHEV's who go DING is quite an unpleasant shock.
Still Never mind the Skoda Kodiak will be coming in with PHEV in a couple of years .
I shall just have to dodge the gravel 'til then! :lol:

jaapv said:
The black paint and to a lesser extent white seem to attract quite a few complaints in this area. The greys, silver, etc are fine.
As for the thin panels, that is the new safety norm across the industry: Soft shell - hard core Lots of plastic bodypanels too. You'll be thankful should you ever get involved in a major crash.

Ha! I'm used to a chassis made of steel girders - you demolish anything you hit! If the PHEV does not outlast me, I may get another Defender - second-hand now, of course. I've been admiring them on the road again recently... :)

I borrowed a 110 recently to tow some heavy stuff and it was......basic.....to say the least.

I put defenders in the bracket of things best admired from a distance now!. A discovery however, that's a piece of hardware.

I had two Discos, an original 3 door new in October '89 and a 'Ford' version (when Ford owned LR for a short period) a few years later. Brilliant 'sports Lorries'.
Can't be doing with the new poncy girly version. But even as the poncy version, still the best off roader.

jaapv said:
I like Defenders, but I do think that they are a bit OTT outside the African bush.

Hmmm, the African bush is probably the last place I would take a Defender. They have always been horribly unreliable but the early ones could, at least, be repaired by any half decent blacksmith. The current generation are just as unreliable, but also complex! Definitely a car for use in civilised places with a good dealer network!

I'm in Africa every year. They are absolutely the most popular vehicle for the bush, rivalled only by the Landcruiser.
Reasons: virtually impossible to break, easily repaired under primitive conditions, and the most comfortable.

jaapv said:
I'm in Africa every year. They are absolutely the most popular vehicle for the bush, rivalled only by the Landcruiser.
Reasons: virtually impossible to break, easily repaired under primitive conditions, and the most comfortable.

Hmmm, I can assure you they are easy to break - I've done it many times...

Back