Thin paint on the Phev

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had two series III. one short WB one Long , both of course on cart springs. They never broke down but the LWB especially was vile on wet corners. I often felt I was going to be able to see my own rear number plate coming round to meet me! :eek:
They were extremely thirsty being 2.0L petrol, about 15mpg round town and less in the rough.
And SO uncomfortable.
Unfortunately I have never owned a Defender. I think they look terrific. Very sad to see the end of production.

Carnut said:
I had two series III. one short WB one Long , both of course on cart springs. They never broke down but the LWB especially was vile on wet corners. I often felt I was going to be able to see my own rear number plate coming round to meet me! :eek:
They were extremely thirsty being 2.0L petrol, about 15mpg round town and less in the rough.
And SO uncomfortable.
Unfortunately I have never owned a Defender. I think they look terrific. Very sad to see the end of production.

Ah, I owned only Landrovers for many years - starting with a Series 2 and progressing through to Defenders. I have had everything from 2.2l petrol 4 cylinders through 3.5l V8s in long and short wheelbase to TDI diesels in Defender LWB.

In that time I've broken at least three gearboxes, several clutches, springs a couple of times, the propshaft at least once, UJs and CV Joints several times and the chassis at least once. They are great cars while they are running, but quality control leaves a lot to be desired...

K9pvc said:
OH MY GOD :shock: Onlynik
What happened I would be totally gutted if that was my vehicle

Someone decided to take revenge on a PHEV for the loss of oil related jobs in the North East of Scotland.

TBH I've no idea, but someone has scraped something harsh along the length of the car, the paint has come off and the white under coat is visible.

Car is 3 weeks old. No other cars in the street had any damage, this included a 2014 Cayenne and a 2015 Merc Coupe, as well as other normal cars, so I doubt it was related to jealousy. Just a mindless idiot. Not much can be done. If I have a moment I'll take it to a body shop.

Sort-of related question....

First week with my Outlander and love it so far (although super paranoid about the paint, sadly)

My issue is car-washing

I have reasons why washing from home is difficult. Partly time related (at moment, I'm only home when its dark!) and partly due to a water pressure issue I have at the house.

With my previous car (Lexus CT), I used the local east-european car wash and I have to say they always do a decent job and I've never had cause for complaint.

Am I okay using them with the Outlander or will they finish with a completely bare-metal car and a pile of ruby-black paint on the floor?

I know its massive paranoia, and I see them washing Range rovers and the like - but am I worrying unnecessarily?

Did anyone get anywhere with this? I have just had a look at mine and its horrific for a 6 month old car!

IMG_0661.JPG

Some one drove into mine in a car park at Tesco yesterday. Unfortunately for him I was sat in the car at the time.

What started out as me asking him why he drove into my car and him denying it escalated into him offering to knock my head off. Thug.

However, once the layer of grime was wiped off mine it seems to have little if any damage then wont come off with a little elbow grease.

Which surprised me because his Focus was obviously marked and PHEVs are famously thin of paint. Mine is Atlantic grey BTW.

jaapv said:
If the Atlantic Grey is the same as my Titanium Grey (it probably is) I find it quite acceptable.

The 'paint' can't come off on those as they just leave them with the undercoat for that colour :p

Part of my everyday journey involves a narrow road with cars parked on the right and the railway line on the left, no footpath or barrier between the road and the perimeter of the railway. The area on the left by the railway is overgrown with bushes which encroach onto the road and frequently brush the passenger side of the car as I drive down the road between them and the parked cars on the right. For all sorts of reasons, this is my only route to school and the local shops etc, but I can avoid it on return (one ways etc). My black PHEV is feathered with fine scratches on the passenger side which I can only assume has been as a result of these bushes and the white under-coat is now obvious, albeit very fine scratches. I previously had a dark grey SAAB and did the same journey almost every day for 9 years and nothing - have this 9 months and the difference is stark!

i spotted a 2014 PHEV charging up in a motorway service station. had a look at the front end - wow !!!!! i counted 62 chips in the paint on the bonnet and front bumper. the majority were probably 2mm+ in diameter. looked as if someone had given it both barrels from a shotgun.

Jimmac said:
i spotted a 2014 PHEV charging up in a motorway service station. had a look at the front end - wow !!!!! i counted 62 chips in the paint on the bonnet and front bumper. the majority were probably 2mm+ in diameter. looked as if someone had given it both barrels from a shotgun.
Maybe some disgruntled Leaf owner had...

Yesterday hit a fat pigeon at right-angles which then exploded into a shower of feathers.

On parking, I was expecting to find the a-pillar and wing mirror distorted beyond belief.

I've hit birds before, they do huge damage.

Not a dent.

Not a scratch.

Very impressed.

After a year, the bonnet is full of small marks, the steps in therear doors looks like shit, and apparantly even finger nails is hard enough to scratch the paint as the paint behind the door handles is scratched beyond belief.

My 13 year old land rover is in mint condition compared to this, and it has not exactly been taken care of.

Back