Winter Tyres?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
avensys said:
Hi,
How would third party wheels affect insurance (in UK)?
Kind regards,
Mark

So long as they are the correct size and CE approved, I don't think they would have any relevance. Your insurance company does not insist that you should replace tyres with exactly the same make as were fitted by Mitsubishi, do they?

The normal standard PHEV wheels.
That's a great deal! Worth crossing the channel for in fact, would the dealer supply others at that price, do you think?

avensys wrote:

Hi,
How would third party wheels affect insurance (in UK)?
Kind regards,
Mark

So long as they are the correct size and CE approved, I don't think they would have any relevance. Your insurance company does not insist that you should replace tyres with exactly the same make as were fitted by Mitsubishi, do they?
I wouldn't be so sure - there was a great deal of discussion about this on the Disco forum I was on and insurers can be quite prickly about changing wheels. You may not be aware but wheels have a weight rating for example and 2 wheels of identical size and fitment can have 2 completely different weight ratings. And these are not normally advertised and not necessarily easy to find. LR wheels have the rating cast into the rear of the wheel for example.

There was a link on that forum somewhere to a list of insurers and their specific rules ie. who needed to be notified etc. I will try to find the link and post on here later.

My dealer told me today that I need to ask again in October - currently there is only 1 option available at £120 per tyre, but I didn't go into exactly what it is at this stage. He said there would be more choices next month.
H

Hi,
I am for the first time considering winter tyres. This has been, in large part, down to the discussions on this forum. Also, since the car was bought new and I'm intending to keep at least 4-5 years, the cost of winter tyres would appear worthwhile. Based upon doing about 11k miles per annum, I'm guessing that after 55k miles all tyres would be pretty well worn if not quite worn out. Does that sound reasonable?
Kind regards,
Mark
Also, please keep posting updates :)

Indeed it does. Btw I find I got mine on a really good offer. Four original wheels with Hankook tyres are listed for 1950 € in the accessory price list. No doubt they will come down in Oct.- Nov as special offers (I hope...)

I am thinking that winter tyres might now be a good idea, and if I buy a second set of wheels I can use one of the "other" seasons wheel/tyres as a spare on longer journeys.

Does anybody know if you can mix summer and winter tyres on the same axle? I also seem to remember reading somewhere that you have to change both tyres on the same axle together, something to do with rolling circumference and the electric motors!! Was I dreaming this?

Graham said:
I am thinking that winter tyres might now be a good idea, and if I buy a second set of wheels I can use one of the "other" seasons wheel/tyres as a spare on longer journeys.

Does anybody know if you can mix summer and winter tyres on the same axle? I also seem to remember reading somewhere that you have to change both tyres on the same axle together, something to do with rolling circumference and the electric motors!! Was I dreaming this?

I'm sure you shouldn't do it for long or go very fast but under the circumstances I would feel free to go slowly tothe nearest tyre depot.

Hypermiler said:
My dealer told me today that I need to ask again in October - currently there is only 1 option available at £120 per tyre, but I didn't go into exactly what it is at this stage. He said there would be more choices next month.
H

Sorry, just remembered that he said that £120 price included initial fitting.
H

jaapv said:
Indeed it does. Btw I find I got mine on a really good offer. Four original wheels with Hankook tyres are listed for 1950 € in the accessory price list. No doubt they will come down in Oct.- Nov as special offers (I hope...)

There you go again jaapv, writing about items in "the accessory price list" ;) Is this an official Mitsubishi one? If so can you provide the link because I can't see anything like this on the UK web-site ..................please.

greendwarf said:
jaapv said:

There you go again jaapv, writing about items in "the accessory price list" ;) Is this an official Mitsubishi one? If so can you provide the link because I can't see anything like this on the UK web-site ..................please.

If you go to the Netherlands Outlander PHEV pages and download the brochure, you can see the options/accessories at the end. Unfortunately as it's a pdf you can't translate it like a normal webpage, but the section under 'Lichtmetalen velgen' (alloy wheels?) gives some options... Looks like they get a lot more options than we do!

jdsx said:
greendwarf said:
jaapv said:

If you go to the Netherlands Outlander PHEV pages and download the brochure, you can see the options/accessories at the end. Unfortunately as it's a pdf you can't translate it like a normal webpage, but the section under 'Lichtmetalen velgen' (alloy wheels?) gives some options... Looks like they get a lot more options than we do!

Thanks - very interesting, especially that they only have two models, one with 16" wheels (they use inches still?)

I called my supplying dealer's Parts Dept. yesterday for a price on PHEV OEM wheels and was quoted £460 per corner. Ouch :eek: Strangely, about four hours later I received a call from the salesman that sold me the car (someone clearly grassed me up!) asking if somehow I had managed to damage the car.

I explained that I was a winter tyre user and was inquiring prior to winter about costs. What I then learned was interesting with respect to marketing. It would appear that the marketing and product-pricing people at Mitsubishi UK have no concept of winter driving and using snow tyres in the UK environment so they expect all roadwheel sales at the dealer parts departments to be for accident damage and price the product accordingly. Now if you took a jaded view on modern life, that could be viewed as cynical exploitation. If you were more analytical, you might be reaching for your motor insurance policy and wondering how much of your premiums are down to inflated parts costs.

The salesman went on to say that in countries where snow tyres are part of the motoring culture, the pricing of roadwheels reflects the volume of sales and the product is cheaper.

If Mitsubishi bv. are doing winter deals on roadwheels this year, I might just jump on Eurotunnel and land on Jaap's doorstep for a coffee, a quick look at his Leicas (private joke) and get directions to his nearest dealer. Common sense tells me that if I bought another set for a UK PHEV owner, I might also cover the cost of the travel.

You're most welcome. Happy to let you play around with my gear. Warning: doing that might make this the most expensive trip you ever took :mrgreen:. Leicas are addictive!
http://rodriguezahr.blogspot.ca/2014/09/rangefinder-system-rediscovering.html

However, I fear I'm off to Africa the month of October and the deals start during that month. I'll keep an eye on my email and post it in this forum, though, if and when I get a spot of Internet connectivity.

The comments on UK winter tyre knowlege and the pricing of "extra" wheels by the dealers doesn't surprise and the comments on why they are priced like that are spot on. It is only recently that BMW and Mercedes have started offering winter tyre packages which I suspect is largely a result of customer pressure. Mitsubishi are behind the curve on this although to be fair the PHEV is tapping a new customer base for them beyond the traditional builders, mobility, hard-core 4x4 etc. UK punters are now far more knowlegeable on winter tyres with the growth of winter sports. As an aside, I have noticed far more UK cars driving to the Alps particularly at half-term February. The road to Calais on the second Saturday has every possible UK registered 4x4 and estate car on it. With the massively inflated package holiday and flight prices, the maths are compelling - £150 eurotunnel and say £4-500 petrol - for the entire family, no taxi/train fares to airport, lots of space for kit etc.
I spent a lot of time on ebay.de (I assume ebay.nl is similar) to find my winter rims for my X5 and had them shipped back to UK from Munich. Without tyres, shipping is not too deadly. Tyres are then pretty straighforward. Google translate is your friend and, of course, many German (and probably all Dutch) dealers will speak excellent English.
Jaap - very interested if you spot any good deals in Holland. I quite fancy a winter set on the "black" Australian market 18s but that might be quite difficult to pull off!

Oh, and you could get the Hull - Rotterdam ferry and do some northern deliveries too! Then again not sure that's a good idea in October!
H

Just to follow up, I've just been into the PHEV NL website in the accessories brochure. There are 3 winter wheel tyre packages mentioned -
16 inch wheels - Euro 1175
18 inch 7 spoke - Euro 1795
18 inch 5 spoke (the original UK fit( - Euro 2175

All come with Hankook winters.
Pretty good value particularly the 16 inch set (albeit personally don't like that look).
I quite fancy the 18 7 spoke.
Might find the nearest dealer to Eurotunnel and give them a ring.

Back