Brake discs

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mitsyphev said:
Hello.
I have a September 2015 PHEV (facelift) which has just had an MOT and a 50000 mile service. The car has only done 29500 miles, but in the MOT advisory notes, under work required in the near future, it states that the front and rear discs are worn and will need replacing. New pads would be fitted at the same time bringing the total bill to just under £1000. I have driven many makes of cars and have never had one that required the discs being replaced at such a relatively low mileage. Also, you’d think that with regenerative braking reducing the load on the brakes the discs and pads should last longer than average. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
When I bought my my15 35000 ex Mitsubishi garage boss owners car I couldn't have it shipped to me untill it had new brakes discs and tyres replaced by them --- it was either owned by nigel mansel or a 17 year old ---- go figure

Why? Brake pads, discs and tyres are consumable items and this is an 1850Kg car.

As I said before, my car, which spends a lot of time on the motorway had new pads and front discs at 30k miles, compete rebuild at 60k, new pads with front discs at 90k and will need a complete rebuild soon at 120k. As for tyres, the fronts wear first at around 25k - 30k and my leasing company will only allow OEM ones and insist on doing all 4 even though the rears are only 1/2 worn.

It is a machine, bits wear out! What’s the problem?

I wonder - I am at 130.000 km and only had the pads changed once At 80.000 I think. And I do a fair bit of motorway driving. However, I use ACC and keep my distance. My tyres last about 60.000 km.

At 80,000km my brake pads are still only 25% worn. My driving is 1/3 urban, 2/3 freeway at 120 kmh. I use the regen paddles for slowing down, only touching the brake pedal for the last bit of stopping, as the regen gets weaker as speed drops.

My tires (original Toyos) will be replaced later this month, as they are very near to the legal minimum tread depth of 3.5 mm. They are evenly worn, as my dealer rotates them front to back every second service call, and I had an alignment done at 50,000km due to uneven wear appearing on the front set at that time.

I consider this to be excellent lifespan for these components.

ThudnBlundr said:
I wonder if driving in B0 or B5 has an impact?

Ducks for cover...

In B1 to B5 setting the car regenerates some electricity at the cost of slowing the car down, when your foot is off the accelerator.
This is less efficient than coasting in B0, because you're not using any charge at all.

In stop start town conditions use B5 to brake, only braking hard enough to engage the disc brakes when you need to come to a halt.

On long journeys alternate between CHRG, to recharge from 30% back up to 70%, and Normal, because using the ICE to charge is more efficient than using it in SAVE.

IMHO

Just traded my previous car, a 2016 Skoda Superb tdi dsg with 170.000 km, for a MY2020 Outlander PHEV.

I drove the Skoda through all of Europe with all kinds of highways. My driving style is going with the flow, which means that sometimes I drive a steady 100km/h for long stretches and sometimes I drive 150-170 km/h with peaks over 200 km/h for long distances on the german autobahn. Also I have been towing a caravan with this car for at least 15.000 km's.

The Skoda has been traded in with the original (factory mounted) brake discs and brake pads and they were still not worn.
The car before the Skoda (Ford Galaxy), same story and the car before that (Citroën C5 Tourer) as well.

You can imagine my expectations for a car with regenerative brakes are high. I'm confident though. In my experience brakes don't wear by driving at high speed, they wear by anticipating poorly.

Over all the years and more than 1.2million miles, living where I do, over 10,000 miles a year are spent on the M25 or driving in London. :|

Those who experience this know what this means, those who haven’t just imagine the most aggressive, densely populated, potholed, gridlocked urban jungle of your worst nightmares, and you won’t even come close.

This is where the wear and tear on brakes on tyres takes place, not pounding up and down beautifully maintained, smooth and relatively traffic free European motorways and US Freeways. (Before I get shot, I know both systems have their block spots)

Outside London, and even closer to where I live we have Milton Keynes, a town based on a grid of National Speed limit roads with roundabouts every few hundred yards. If you don’t accelerate hard and brake even harder the natives will express their displeasure at every opportunity.

Different places and different perspectives are what makes the world such an interesting place.

Steel188 said:
Over all the years and more than 1.2million miles, living where I do, over 10,000 miles a year are spent on the M25 or driving in London. :|
You have my sympathies :)

Steel188 said:
even closer to where I live we have Milton Keynes, a town based on a grid of National Speed limit roads with roundabouts every few hundred yards. If you don’t accelerate hard and brake even harder the natives will express their displeasure at every opportunity.
My sister lives the other side of MK from me. Every time I traverse it, it cripples my fuel consumption for the reasons you explain. I wonder what the total annual additional CO2 emissions amount to?

It's not that the Japanese are designing only for their own market but they have no concept as to how or why someone would break the law. However, I have little insight into Koreans and how they think.

ThudnBlundr said:
I wonder if driving in B0 or B5 has an impact?

Ducks for cover...

Makes very little difference - whether you engage the regen by backing off the accelerator or pressing the brake pedal (gently) it basically does the same thing - goes to regen if it can.

Tai626 said:
Reviving this thread.

Looking for data to compare the mpg of RAV4 Prime and Outlander PHEV at 100mph!

Tai
I would say at 100mph you will have to revive the Outlander... not this thread.

Tai626 said:
Reviving this thread.

Looking for data to compare the mpg of RAV4 Prime and Outlander PHEV at 100mph!

Tai

Over Xmas I purchased a 2020 Outlander with 31,000klms on it on the Gold Coast in Qld and drove it back to home in Sydney. Single day - 8.5 hours.
Various speed zones to Tweed river and then 110klms per hour all the way to Raymond Terrace other than an 80klm/hr slowdown through Coffs Harbour. Raymond terrace was slow as arrived at peak hour to cross the bridge and then back to 110 down the Newcastle Expressway to home on the northern beaches. 1050klms.
As well I had the AC on all the way, and I was playing with the Charge Modes on/off for a few hours at a time getting to know the car.
Started on a full tank, popped 1/2 a tank in not quite halfway, and then filled up about 1.5 hours out of Sydney as running on fumes and the car was getting very aggressive telling me to "Get Fuel Now!"
According to the screen the next morning I had averaged 3.9litres per 100klms and this forum has since told me I did it all wrong with using the AC on all the time and I shouldn't have used the Charge cycle and a few other things, so its conceivable I could have done better.
(I wanted to arrive with a full charge to use the battery only mode next few days, but the forum says to arrive with an empty battery and charge it overnight would have been 'more correct').
I've now done 2700klms inc that trip. I haven't put in any fuel and I'm showing 78klm range on fuel still.
I've charged 6 times.
By my rough calculations, all up including the big drive home at freeway speeds, I'm averaging about 2.4l/100klms. I use B5 all the time and when going up this one long particular hill climb to collect the mail, I am in the habit now of turning it on to charge so I have the ICE for uphill, and then B5 back downhill again.
I am unable to give you any RAV4 experience sorry, but I can say I've nearly forgotten how to use the petrol bowser.
I never would have thought it but if I didn't want to use the car for trips and need the wagon space for my sales driving around Sydney, I'd almost consider an pure EV. But not at that point yet - love the PHEV for its versatility and no range anxiety.

SS2115 said:
According to the screen the next morning I had averaged 3.9litres per 100klms and this forum has since told me I did it all wrong with using the AC on all the time and I shouldn't have used the Charge cycle and a few other things, so its conceivable I could have done better.
(I wanted to arrive with a full charge to use the battery only mode next few days, but the forum says to arrive with an empty battery and charge it overnight would have been 'more correct').

Nothing wrong with having the AC on all the time - if it's hot and you want it for comfort - that's what it's there for. It will use more energy, but so what? Not falling asleep at the wheel and remaining comfortable and alert is worth something.

As for arriving empty and charging being "more correct", there is no right and wrong. It's just that usually adding the EV range by plugging in at home is considerably cheaper than doing it by using the ICE due to the costs and efficiencies of the 2 methods.

Don't let anyone tell you how to use it, but do take advice on what might be better/cheaper/more convenient/more comfortable etc.

Tai626 said:
Over Xmas I purchased a 2020 Outlander with 31,000klms on it on the Gold Coast in Qld and drove it back to home in Sydney. Single day - 8.5 hours.
Various speed zones to Tweed river and then 110klms per hour all the way to Raymond Terrace other than an 80klm/hr slowdown through Coffs Harbour. Raymond terrace was slow as arrived at peak hour to cross the bridge and then back to 110 down the Newcastle Expressway to home on the northern beaches. 1050klms.
As well I had the AC on all the way, and I was playing with the Charge Modes on/off for a few hours at a time getting to know the car.
Started on a full tank, popped 1/2 a tank in not quite halfway, and then filled up about 1.5 hours out of Sydney as running on fumes and the car was getting very aggressive telling me to "Get Fuel Now!"
I've now done 2700klms inc that trip. I haven't put in any fuel and I'm showing 78klm range on fuel still.
I've charged 6 times.
By my rough calculations, all up including the big drive home at freeway speeds, I'm averaging about 2.4l/100klms. I use B5 all the time and when going up this one long particular hill climb to collect the mail, I am in the habit now of turning it on to charge so I have the ICE for uphill, and then B5 back downhill again.
I am unable to give you any RAV4 experience sorry, but I can say I've nearly forgotten how to use the petrol bowser.
I never would have thought it but if I didn't want to use the car for trips and need the wagon space for my sales driving around Sydney, I'd almost consider an pure EV. But not at that point yet - love the PHEV for its versatility and no range anxiety.

1050km at 100km/h and 3.9L/100km... I call that BS!
Probably you are looking at all time average not trip average.

I'll agree that 3.9/100 seems to be a little unlikely.

When I still had my 2020 I was happy with economies in the mid 6s/100 and if it got under 6 ... well, I was ecstatic.

As to the A/C business ... I seem to recall from the past that there were studies that showed that the extra cost of using a/c was offset by the cost of increased drag by having the windows open.

My 2023 economy is probably going to be a bit less than the 2020. Heavier car and all. OTOH, the increased battery size makes up for a lot since shorter trips can be longer on all electric. Still chilly around here, so I can't really comment for another month or so :)

Back