Brake discs

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kpetrov said:
Tai626 said:
Over Xmas I purchased a 2020 Outlander with 31,000klms on it on the Gold Coast in Qld and drove it back to home in Sydney. Single day - 8.5 hours.
Various speed zones to Tweed river and then 110klms per hour all the way to Raymond Terrace other than an 80klm/hr slowdown through Coffs Harbour. Raymond terrace was slow as arrived at peak hour to cross the bridge and then back to 110 down the Newcastle Expressway to home on the northern beaches. 1050klms.
As well I had the AC on all the way, and I was playing with the Charge Modes on/off for a few hours at a time getting to know the car.
Started on a full tank, popped 1/2 a tank in not quite halfway, and then filled up about 1.5 hours out of Sydney as running on fumes and the car was getting very aggressive telling me to "Get Fuel Now!"
According to the screen the next morning I had averaged 3.9litres per 100klms and this forum has since told me I did it all wrong with using the AC on all the time and I shouldn't have used the Charge cycle and a few other things, so its conceivable I could have done better.
(I wanted to arrive with a full charge to use the battery only mode next few days, but the forum says to arrive with an empty battery and charge it overnight would have been 'more correct').
I've now done 2700klms inc that trip. I haven't put in any fuel and I'm showing 78klm range on fuel still.
I've charged 6 times.
By my rough calculations, all up including the big drive home at freeway speeds, I'm averaging about 2.4l/100klms. I use B5 all the time and when going up this one long particular hill climb to collect the mail, I am in the habit now of turning it on to charge so I have the ICE for uphill, and then B5 back downhill again.
I am unable to give you any RAV4 experience sorry, but I can say I've nearly forgotten how to use the petrol bowser.
I never would have thought it but if I didn't want to use the car for trips and need the wagon space for my sales driving around Sydney, I'd almost consider an pure EV. But not at that point yet - love the PHEV for its versatility and no range anxiety.

1050km at 100km/h and 3.9L/100km... I call that BS!
Probably you are looking at all time average not trip average.

Cry BS all you want.
Trip screen said 3.9l/100k for fuel and I don't remember the electrical.
Right now after 2700klms including the same trip and the 1 1/2 fills the same screen is reporting 2.2l/100k and 14.5kW for the electrical side - one above the other on the screen - not total. Its an extremely flat coastal plain from Qld to the edge of the Sydney basin (just after Newcastle) and with the cruise control on it never wavered from 110klm/hr. Coming into the Sydney basin is more hilly but still a sweeping freeway with cutouts through the hills and 110klm/hr still easy to maintain except for a long hill coming up from the Hawksbury river to Hornsby but still easy to maintain 110. Then it goes flat again until we hit the suburbs and the freeway ends.
Can send you a screen shot in the morning if you want.

SS2115 said:
kpetrov said:
Tai626 said:
Over Xmas I purchased a 2020 Outlander with 31,000klms on it on the Gold Coast in Qld and drove it back to home in Sydney. Single day - 8.5 hours.
Various speed zones to Tweed river and then 110klms per hour all the way to Raymond Terrace other than an 80klm/hr slowdown through Coffs Harbour. Raymond terrace was slow as arrived at peak hour to cross the bridge and then back to 110 down the Newcastle Expressway to home on the northern beaches. 1050klms.
As well I had the AC on all the way, and I was playing with the Charge Modes on/off for a few hours at a time getting to know the car.
Started on a full tank, popped 1/2 a tank in not quite halfway, and then filled up about 1.5 hours out of Sydney as running on fumes and the car was getting very aggressive telling me to "Get Fuel Now!"
According to the screen the next morning I had averaged 3.9litres per 100klms and this forum has since told me I did it all wrong with using the AC on all the time and I shouldn't have used the Charge cycle and a few other things, so its conceivable I could have done better.
(I wanted to arrive with a full charge to use the battery only mode next few days, but the forum says to arrive with an empty battery and charge it overnight would have been 'more correct').
I've now done 2700klms inc that trip. I haven't put in any fuel and I'm showing 78klm range on fuel still.
I've charged 6 times.
By my rough calculations, all up including the big drive home at freeway speeds, I'm averaging about 2.4l/100klms. I use B5 all the time and when going up this one long particular hill climb to collect the mail, I am in the habit now of turning it on to charge so I have the ICE for uphill, and then B5 back downhill again.
I am unable to give you any RAV4 experience sorry, but I can say I've nearly forgotten how to use the petrol bowser.
I never would have thought it but if I didn't want to use the car for trips and need the wagon space for my sales driving around Sydney, I'd almost consider an pure EV. But not at that point yet - love the PHEV for its versatility and no range anxiety.

1050km at 100km/h and 3.9L/100km... I call that BS!
Probably you are looking at all time average not trip average.

Cry BS all you want.
Trip screen said 3.9l/100k for fuel and I don't remember the electrical.
Right now after 2700klms including the same trip and the 1 1/2 fills the same screen is reporting 2.2l/100k and 14.5kW for the electrical side - one above the other on the screen - not total. Its an extremely flat coastal plain from Qld to the edge of the Sydney basin (just after Newcastle) and with the cruise control on it never wavered from 110klm/hr. Coming into the Sydney basin is more hilly but still a sweeping freeway with cutouts through the hills and 110klm/hr still easy to maintain except for a long hill coming up from the Hawksbury river to Hornsby but still easy to maintain 110. Then it goes flat again until we hit the suburbs and the freeway ends.
Can send you a screen shot in the morning if you want.
Thank you for confirming my suspicions.
Right now the same screen is showing your vehicle all time (after last reset) average, not that particular trip average.

If you set up the computer to show the trip average not all time average it will automatically reset after 4 hours of inactivity so...
same screen like you are saying can't show previous trip combined with last one. Well unless you didn't sleep.

How much is your consumption on the same screen when you start the car?

So I'm okay to admit I'm still coming to grips with this car.
Its also the first time I have experienced EV's.
There seems to be a lot of things to interpret, some of which doesn't seem to be an exact science and more guess-o-meter by the car.

I looked this morning on the trip page under PHEV info as I have done before and you requested me to do.
Both elec and fuel didn't have any numbers - just 3 x dashes. I then started the car (ie: 'Ready' - not ICE running) but it remained the three dashes so I don't know whats going on there just sitting in the driveway.

The other day as I reported, it was showing 2.2 on the fuel and 14.4 on the electrical line above it but I was driving in the car at the time.
When I had arrived back from Qld 1050klms later earlier this year, the fuel was definitely 3.9 because I remember thinking that was so fantastic compared to my previous car.

Now as a very coarse calculation - I've done 2700 klms since picking up the vehicle - ie: inclusive of the 1050klm freeway driving back home and all my local running around since.
I started with a full tank = 45litres. I topped up when it got down half way - 22.5lites and then a full top up again about an hour out of Sydney - 45 litres. I haven't put any fuel in it since and still have 66klms remaining when I drove it yesterday.

So based on these approx figures I have used 45 + 45 + 22.5 litres over 2700klms which equals 4.16 litres per 100klms. I know you will argue there will be some inconsistencies in the exact amount of petrol and the 2700 klms is slightly rounded off, but it still points to my total average being "somewhere around" the 3.9 - 4.2litres per 100klms.
I agree that's total as you previously commented, but for me it makes sense still because my trips are all very short locally with only a couple of longer excursions all on battery and I've charged 5 or 6 times, run on B5 all the time, never engage the ICE with extreme driving but only to go up a long steep hill (4klms) I engage the Charge mode so that the battery doesn't deplete so quickly and then I coast back down on the B5.
ie: my average fuel consumption is probably still based 95% on the big trip at constant freeway speeds as I've hardly used any fuel since then.

Strange... the trip page showing 3 dashes is consistent with a trip average monitor not all time average. So you are looking at trip average screen indeed. 3 dashes mean there is no data yet to calculate the consumption. If you look at all time average there will be readings even when you start your trip.
The point of my arguing is not to put you in the mud or something but 3.9L/100km on a 1000 km trip (minus 50km electric) at speed over 100km/h is not possible with this vehicle unless downhill or strong tail wind.
Your 2700 km average with few plugging in the grid seams reasonable but there is the other calculation...
you stared full 45L you add 22.5 mid trip and then an hour out of Sydney you had empty thank to add 45L more. It means for 900km you have used 45L+22.5L=67.5L that is 7.5L/100km and sounds about right. Then you brought your consumption down to 4.16 by plugging in, even less since you have fuel left.

If you are displaying the trip computer page you have 2 options:

- a brief press of the scroll button on the steering wheel toggles between 3 memory screens.

- a long press will reset the current page values.

I think what you are seeing is the calculated values since you got the car which will include all the pure EV driving you've been doing.

mellobob said:
I think what you are seeing is the calculated values since you got the car which will include all the pure EV driving you've been doing.

Hi. Isn't that the original point of this conversation - ie: my fuel consumption taking into account all the EV driving?
Thanks for the tips on the steering wheel controls. Its one of the problems I am encountering with this vehicle - so many ways to achieve the same thing sometimes.
Its a big learning curve.

Whether I'm right or wrong about the fuel consumption figures, I'm still very happy not to be visiting a petrol station anywhere near as often as with previous vehicle.
I will have to fill up shortly again as I'm getting the low fuel warnings as of wednesday at 66 klms remaining. Thats about 8 weeks without topping up fuel. Its fantastic.

So maybe you guys can answer something else I've been wondering.
I hadn't used the SPORT button until the other day. What a difference! Usually on most ICE cars its pretty lame. I could tell on the outlander that it sharpened up the accelerator response, but I also wondered if it turns the Atkins cycle engine into an Otto? I read somewhere that this ability is built into most Atkins cycle engines these days because its just a different inlet valve timing.

So today I filled up the fuel tank.
Took 39 litres so not really empty but got sick of the yellow rectangle and the warnings and flashing bowser.

So on the screen in front of the driver I use the display set to EV range and Fuel range as I found it the most useful.
The fuel range told me I had 467 klms with the full tank.
So assuming its using my average over the last couple of months I'v owned it including the 1050klm drive Brisbane to Sydney and all the EV use since, dividing this into a 45 litre tank gives us 9.65l/100k.
Is this a more reliable indication for you?
I also looked at that dial on the trip page and if I'm understanding it correctly, it telling me that 67% of my driving has been on battery.
Also on this same page, the consumption figures that had been dashes recently are now showing numbers but they must be instantaneous use and not average because the fuel figure is fairly constantly changing - its been as high as 15 and as low as 1.2 while I've been driving in Charge mode to force the engine on. The battery seems more constant on 14.4.
Doe this all sound 'normal' to you now?

Sounds normal, don't overthink it. Main efficiency strategy will be to use the engine only in parallel mode if at all.

Under 100km/h (around 90) you can get 6.5L/100km over 100km/h and the consumption goes to 7.5L/100km
All electric driving will bring the average consumption down obviously.
467km with a full tank may not be calculated by all time average but recent trip average, not sure.

If you want to check your engine consumption drive your battery to 0 on the highway and once the engine kick in reset the trip consumption.

Back