Fast charging

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maby said:
TC1978 said:
I've never yet done this, not because I'm worried about the potential issues (as I hadn't read this thread!), but more because I'm not convinced it would give me any benefit.

I don't live anywhere near any fast chargers, as the majority appear to be in motorway service stations and I live in a county without any motorways (and, perhaps as a result, no fast chargers). I do, however, do very regular motorway long journeys, but even then - if I stop for the 20 minutes or so (which would be practically unheard of, I like to keep my pit stops to five minutes or so, enough time to invariably fill up, and have a jimmy riddle).

If I'm then going to crash down the motorway for another couple of hundred miles, the benefit of having an 80% charge, to me, is negligible. Am I missing something?

Likewise, I've never used public chargers. As you say, almost all rapid chargers are on motorway service areas and they only give you 80% charge. At motorway speeds, this will take you less than 20 miles - quite a lot less at this time of year - and it will take close to half an hour to get you there - really not worth it even if there were no risk to your car...

I did a 220 mile round trip up to Sheffield today up the M1, I used up most my battery getting to the motorway and the slow bits on the A42. I did a rapid charge at I think either Tibshelf or Trowell to 80% and saved until I got into Sheffield then let it run on battery. Did some work and then left again using battery until back on the motorway and hit save again with about 3 miles showing. With regen. I picked up a few miles on the way back down the M1/A42 and took save off when I got off the motorway with 10 miles to go. Final figure 47mpg which is fine by me as generally keeping up with flow.

I don't know where you get half an hour from. Mine only ever takes 20 minutes tops and often less if there is a bit of charge still left.

I certainly don't stop ever chance I get by a long shot, but 20 minutes isn't that long to go to the loo, have a gawk at all the people eating the junk at services, clear the many emails on my phone, check my Facebook page and have a read of the BBC news site and a bit of a leg stretch.

Back