Fuel System Maintenance

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ufo

Hi everyone,

So far nobody said anything about this. Yesterday when I hit the start button, ICE kicked in and central display said it was in charge mode even though there was 40 km electric range available (no heating, no A/C, it was 25 degrees outside) I tried to stop it by hitting the charge button which had no effect. Then I released there was another message on central display saying the vehicle was in "Fuel System Maintenance" mode. I drove to nearest petrol station running in charge mode and filled up (it was half full) then when started it did not go in to charge mode.
I can hear everyone saying that is normal because if you don’t put in any petrol for 6 months, it will do that and it is written in the manual. That’s all fine but I am 100 % sure that last time I filled up was definitely less than 6 months ago, exactly 3 months and 19 days ago, I know it because I still have the receipt kept for accounting purposes because it is company car.
I wonder if anybody had an experience like this?

That's interesting. Congratulations :mrgreen: ! There was some discussion in a thread here http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=142&start=10
But I don't recall hearing it had actually happened to anyone!

jaapv said:
Well, mine went in fuel maintenance after three months as well last summer.... :?:

What does the manual you have say? There are heaps of differences between Euro and AU Spec vehicles.

jaapv said:
Not six months - three. You must fill at least 15 liters.
Did you have enough space in your tank for refueling 15 liters?
What happens if the tank is still full after three months?

I think you'd have a petrol car until you use enough petrol to be able to fill it with 15 litres all in one go.

Quote from Mitsubishi Oz website (FAQ page):
To prevent engine damage caused by fuel deterioration, the engine starts to consume fuel if no more than 20 litres of gasoline have been added to the fuel tank in six straight months. The engine will continue to operate automatically while driving (in Hybrid mode) until the fuel tank is filled with at least 20 litres of fuel.

Looks like there are some more translation problems in the manual for AUS released cars.

Car is programmed the same but manual reads differently.

It happened to me today, I have half a tank left so I could fill it and get 15 litres in, not sure I could get 20 in. I think when it's gone I'll fill a quarter or half tank at a time I should get through that in 3 months.

But of a shame really I was in for 6 months without filling up and it's been 3. The girl in accounts keeps ringing me to remind me to send my petrol receipts and I keep telling her I haven't filled up :D

I might have to fill £5 a month to keep it fresh and put up with the paperwork.

Back