Looking at buying used

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisnsteffie

Hi guys,

So, the lease on our LEAF is coming to an end with only 18 days to go. We still think the Outlander is great, and there are a fair number on the used market.

Every car we have ever bought has been used, usually around the 7-10 year old mark - the LEAF was an exception on a PCP. And usually, cars over 100,000 miles start to look dated, and start to have a lot of expensive bills on the way. More modern cars seem to be built a lot better.

Has anyone got an Outlander with high mileage? Is it still as tight? For arguments sake, if we got one around 80,000 miles, what maintenance could we be expecting?
I guess the only way for a PHEV to have gotten that many miles on it in such a relatively short space of time is cruising up and down the motorway, so the car wouldn't have been 'worked'.

We'd appreciate people's thoughts.
Thanks!

I bought mine second hand, but with low mileage so I can't help with high mileage wear and tear. But, I have found the paintwork chips very easily and will start to rust if not treated quickly, so a close check of the paint and not just on the front as I have had chips on doors and a couple between the windscreen and sunroof :shock: .
The only thing specific to the PHEV that maybe of concern is whether the car has been rapid charged regularly during it's life as this seems to reduce the battery life a bit quicker than just charging at home. Get the garage to fully charge the battery and see what EV range is indicated, the results of this can vary with temperature and how the car was driven last as the computer tries to gauge the new range. My 17k car shows a range of about 23 - 25 miles in this cold weather if I have been driving sedately, but can drop as low as 20 if the previous drive was a bit more urgent ;).

Sumpy said:
I bought mine second hand, but with low mileage so I can't help with high mileage wear and tear. But, I have found the paintwork chips very easily and will start to rust if not treated quickly, so a close check of the paint and not just on the front as I have had chips on doors and a couple between the windscreen and sunroof :shock: .
The only thing specific to the PHEV that maybe of concern is whether the car has been rapid charged regularly during it's life as this seems to reduce the battery life a bit quicker than just charging at home. Get the garage to fully charge the battery and see what EV range is indicated, the results of this can vary with temperature and how the car was driven last as the computer tries to gauge the new range. My 17k car shows a range of about 23 - 25 miles in this cold weather if I have been driving sedately, but can drop as low as 20 if the previous drive was a bit more urgent ;).

That's probably the least accurate way to judge the battery capacity, in fact, pretty useless unless it shows 10 miles consistently....

Got my PHEV 3y old with 120k km, around 4/5 months ago

Car was crash free and full service history

Interior of my phev is looking as good as new, leather seat hold very well the usage
Steering is looking precise, and drive is accurate and no strange noise

I got immediately my on service when I got the car, and no defect was find and I paid just 300 euro for the service, that is about the fix price for mitsubishi outlander service

I just check with EvBatMon and my battery is stated as 36Ah or 94.7%, that is a good status for what I can find around

I believe if car got lot of milage on motorway it does age fairly well
Also since is hybrid, most of miles are done on emotor which have longer life then ice
Outlander PHEV ICE is a detuned low power (for a 2L), and it have full electronic control (driver can't mess with it), so it should last over 300k km of car total drive, even more if most of usage is in EV (my usage is around 95% ev)

In my opinion this car is designed to be very reliable

Considering the low cost of used PHEV outlander, I believe is currently a good value in the market
Actually there are also many PHEV for low price even without tons of km on the clock

As always take a used car imply to check well the car and hope to be lucky (actually some used PHEV have long warranty, so risk can be limited)

For check battery status before buying the car, I request to test if 40km are possible driving on small cities and their small connecting roaf, so wirh speed between 50 and 75 km/h... In my case I did around 35km and more than 5km was shown as range left

Car was also check by Mitsubishi service before I test the range, but no printed data was provided by them, only verbal confirmation that all was OK (my dealer was an independent and not associated to any car brand)

Having a ODB2 tool and EvBatMon would help even better, but I did not had when I bought my car

HHL said:
Sumpy said:

That's probably the least accurate way to judge the battery capacity, in fact, pretty useless unless it shows 10 miles consistently....
Thank you for pointing that out and I agree that it isn't very precise, but without paying a Mitsubishi dealer to test and report on the battery status or buying the evbatmon app to check it yourself for every PHEV that you look at, as a basic check it will give you a rough idea on the drive batteries health. what I didn't, but should have said is this is just a quick check whilst giving the initial inspection which if everything seems okay, then you can check the car out more thoroughly.
Chrisnsteffie, I am fairly new to the PHEV (as you have probably already guessed and I defer to the greater knowledge of fellow forum members) but I am thoroughly impressed with the car so far and wish you luck in finding yours.
It is well worth reading through this forum (as I did before buying) as there are some very interesting and enlightening discussions on here.

Thanks for the replies all - some things to watch out for there. Shame the paint seems so thin, same on the LEAF - anything scratches it!

I've got a Bluetooth OBDII adaptor that I use in the LEAF to check the battery, I'll have a look into that app closer to the time. Worth checking out. For reference, our LEAF started at 103% health, and within 2 months 'dropped' to 92%, it's still at 92% now.

I'll keep up the search!

Just a follow up:

Picked up a nice gunmetal grey GX4HS. We were going for the GX4H, but this one came along at the same price!

Really happy with it. Did a 120 mile journey home - more than enough time to get a feel for it. It's certainly not clean with the motorways as filthy as they were last night!
The adaptive cruise control is really nice - we didn't really want it, but when it brought the car almost to a stop in traffic, and then kept moving and took me all the way back up to crusing speed, we were sold!

Charged it using our home charger, so did some pure EV driving around town today - again, really nice and smooth.

One thing I can't find anywhere in the settings - I might even be remembering it wrongly. I swear when we test drove one at the dealer, when the car was turned off it gave you a summary screen of the trips MPG and percentage of EV driving.
Is this a thing? Did I make it up?!

Mine when turned off show only the eco score, that is quite useless

On turn off, mmcs screen goes otf immediately

Unless I use the navigation, I like to keep mmcs on the trip/eco info, for check the ev range nicely

No you didn't! When you turn off, there's a short period before the small info screen goes blank when you can cycle through the available displays. Select which one you want displayed, then let the display go off. That screen will then be the one displayed next time you power off.

Regulo said:
No you didn't! When you turn off, there's a short period before the small info screen goes blank when you can cycle through the available displays. Select which one you want displayed, then let the display go off. That screen will then be the one displayed next time you power off.

That must be it then! I'll check it out next time I stop.
Thanks!

chrisnsteffie said:
Regulo said:

That must be it then! I'll check it out next time I stop.
Thanks!

You don't have to be stopped, it can be done "on the move" e.g. filling time waiting for the lights to change :lol: Left hand button of the bank of 4 behind steering wheel on the left of lower dash.

You don't have to be stopped, it can be done "on the move" e.g. filling time waiting for the lights to change :lol: Left hand button of the bank of 4 behind steering wheel on the left of lower dash.

Yes, but that screen isn't necessarily the one displayed on power down. I have the "mpg and % electric" screen displayed while driving, but the "Trip A" displayed on power down.

Regulo said:

Yes, but that screen isn't necessarily the one displayed on power down. I have the "mpg and % electric" screen displayed while driving, but the "Trip A" displayed on power down.

That's the screen I want on power down! A brief summary of my diving for that trip.

Back