New Owner, with some questions

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iGlosgas

Hello All,

I picked up my PHEV GX4HS (Atlantic Grey) just over a week ago. Some far I've only been charging it home, with the 13Amp charger. I'm having a Chargemaster installed the week. After the first few charges I didn't seem to get the '32 mile' estimate, it was down to about 21-25, but the last few charges it's reached the 32 (estimate).

There are a few questions I have about charging; I've been looking at the 'Zap' charging points website and I am totally confused as to what the best solution is for 'away from home' charging. I think the solution is get the apps for Ecotricity, which I have assumed is PAYG, probably a 'POD Point' account and a Charge Your Car (CYC) accounts; again I think all these are PAYG. Are my assumptions for these correct?

Another question I forgot to ask the dealer is what happens at 'car tax renewal' time? I know the car is exempt UK Road Tax, but on cars that aren't you get a reminder to renew and pay some money. Do I get a reminder to renew my road tax when it's due?

How do I get map updates, and from where?

Sorry if these questions seem a bit daft and have been asked before, but the choice of how to charge the car is so confusing. And my wife says I'm easily confused!!

Thanks in advance,

Welcome iGlosgas, I'm relatively new here as well, my 3+ and I will pass 20,000 miles tomorrow In less than 8 months.

Personally, I would ignore the cards now. I got an Ecotricity one, but they now want £6 for 1/2hour of charge, which isn't worth it, just use petrol, after all, that's what it's for.

With respect to charging at home, the Chargemaster will make it far quicker but you must remember that the distance guage in the car didn't get its nickname of 'Guessometer' for nothing. It works based on some feandish background logic which includes your previous journey and driving style along with ambient temperature and no doubt a whole host of other parameters. Ignore it and see how far you can get.

You will get a tax renewal notice showing a nil cost for 12 months, but you will still have to go online, or ring up, as the DVLA system will need to check you have insurance and an MOT in time.

Map updates are something I don't need (my car does not have MMCS - thankfully) but others on here regularly complain about the cost and how out of date they are, even when new discs are first issued. Ask your dealer, but be prepared, it will not be cheap.

Hope this helps

Welcome. Re charging cards - it depends where you live/drive. Where I am it is charge your car - it is £20 annual charge plus a per kWh payg- they take it out your account. A few are even free like the one at a shopping centre about 15 miles from me - very handy.
Cheers
H

I don't know about the UK, but over here Mitsubishi offers special deals on map updates from time to time. It is worth waiting for such, as the full price is a bit high.

Another question I forgot to ask the dealer is what happens at 'car tax renewal' time? I know the car is exempt UK Road Tax, but on cars that aren't you get a reminder to renew and pay some money. Do I get a reminder to renew my road tax when it's due?

I had a zero-VED diesel before my Outlander - you get the same reminder and you do the same process online to renew, except there's no cost.

There are a few questions I have about charging; I've been looking at the 'Zap' charging points website and I am totally confused as to what the best solution is for 'away from home' charging. I think the solution is get the apps for Ecotricity, which I have assumed is PAYG, probably a 'POD Point' account and a Charge Your Car (CYC) accounts; again I think all these are PAYG. Are my assumptions for these correct?

Make an account for Zap-map and/or get the app. You can then set your vehicle and it will filter the map for chargers that will work with the Outlander. Then, have a look at places you might want to park & charge (near work, near family, a route where you always stop for coffee,etc - basically places you might want stop and charge reasonably often) and see who runs the chargers there. Personally, I've signed up with Ecotricity (I'm a home electricity customer so can use their chargers for free - in fact they pay you £40 a year for just having an EV/PHEV), Polar (6 months free membership for Outlander owners), and Source London (which is only £5/year base subscription I think). I think CYC are taking over the chargers in my hometown so will sign up with them eventually too.

endsofinvention said:
and Source London (which is only £5/year base subscription I think). I think CYC are taking over the chargers in my hometown so will sign up with them eventually too.

Latest from Source London:-

In order for us to continue our substantial investments and make sure you find charge points where you need them, we will be changing our pricing structure on Monday 3rd October 2016. Members will start paying a monthly subscription fee of £4 and 3.6p/min when charging on new charge points. The minimum charge will be for 20 minutes only and you can stop charging anytime you want, rather than have to pay for a full hour when you just need a top-up.

Back