Suggestions - How Mitsubishi might improve PHEV

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Mark

Thanks - yes it appears that you can. Haven't tried it either yet although it was pretty chilly this morning...won't be long now!

What I said wasn't very clear - what I meant was that I used to use the heated front window frequently to demist, instead of putting the air-conditioning on to de-mist (and I don't mean just on starting off). Not sure which of these would actually use more power but no doubt somebody here will advise! Recently when using the car without any heating/cooling at all (i.e. the fan set to 'off'), I noticed that the front window was misting up (usually after getting into the car with wet clothes....I am in Scotland ;) ). Previously I would have put the heated front window on, now I have to turn on the air-conditioning...which presumably will affect the range...

jdsx said:
What I said wasn't very clear - what I meant was that I used to use the heated front window frequently to demist, instead of putting the air-conditioning on to de-mist (and I don't mean just on starting off). Not sure which of these would actually use more power but no doubt somebody here will advise! Recently when using the car without any heating/cooling at all (i.e. the fan set to 'off'), I noticed that the front window was misting up (usually after getting into the car with wet clothes....I am in Scotland ;) ). Previously I would have put the heated front window on, now I have to turn on the air-conditioning...which presumably will affect the range...
Hi,
Obviously you would hit the demist button to clear the screen initially but this is something of a power hog taking a full 6KW of power (4KW heater and presumably 2KW A/C) as indeed it should in order to clear the screen as rapidly as possible.
Once clear, I would suggest setting the temperature to be as high as possible without using the heater (when the screen and feet are shown it is heating, when just the air vents are shown it is not heating (but will cool if the A/C button is on) and when the face vents and feet are shown I believe this is the intermediate stage so heating might be in use) and then changing the mode button away from face vents to feet and screen vents. If this isn't sufficient to keep the screen clear then you may need to turn A/C on as well.
If the engine is running anyway then you don't have to worry about using the electric heater and reducing your range but I'm guessing your question is about EV only trips.
This is a lot of messing about to get the best and I'm sure many people wouldn't bother. The simple answer would be to set the internal temperature to whatever you are comfortable at, with A/C on, and just operate the demist as and when needed.
Kind regards,
Mark

I had the dealer move the menu select button, from being blocked behind the steering wheel, to the RHS button position. This helped, but it really should be on the steering wheel.

I have found the paddles block the wiper and light switches. You have to get a feel for the controls as they are not visible from my driving position.

I would like a few dedicated USB outlets on the dash. Really useful for when you have a longer drive to charge the phone. The one in the centre console is not much use once you place travel items in there. rear seat passengers miss out as well.

I miss having the ash tray [coin tray]. No where to put loose coins. I am sure that some sort of tray compartment could be built into the dash. I will need to remove some panels and see what is behind them. Might be able to retro fit something from an older car into the dash. My PHEV has some spare button positions that could be modified to coin pockets.

gwatpe said:
I had the dealer move the menu select button, from being blocked behind the steering wheel, to the RHS button position. This helped, but it really should be on the steering wheel.

Which menu is this, and how did he do it?

For those who wonder about the heating/cooling aspect - for the last month I have gotten into a beautifully warm cabin every morning for the last month and because of that I barely use the A/C/Heating when driving around. It is MAGNIFICENT! Very cleaver too, because you don't affect your range by doing it this way.

I'd love the window up/sunroof close option as well.

Fergee said:
have only owned it for 1 day but already i would change:-

1:- The front seats, although reasonably comfortable they need more of a bucket effect to hold you in place.

I think the front seats are woefully inadequate... Ok for short rides, but anything over 2 hours is a strain for me personally. The heating works well, but other than that nothing to write home about.

I'm surprised at your comment on the front seat comfort….I guess everyone is a different shape and size. I'm coming from a very comfortable BMW 520d, but both my wife and I found the front seats surprisingly comfortable in the PHEV (two 3 hour trips). No worries there; and it's an important point for me as I've suffered with back pain for years.

The same here, I find that I am less tired after a long drive than I was in my Jaguar X-type, and I found that one pretty comfortable already.

How about a power outlet in the back? We have one in the Landcruiser and it is very useful to run an electric coolbox when we are travelling long distances in hot weather and carrying food.

The PHEV is very well equipped, but similar type luxury SUVs have the following handy features.

1 Always on power outlet in boot for cool box.
2 Front and back parking sensors (even if rear view camera fitted).
3 Heated front screen.
4 Side rear view mirrors which dip to show ground/rear wheels when reversing.
5 Middle front arm rests attached to the seats, or at least an adjustable up/down fore/aft front centre arm rest.
6 LED lighting for all inside/ outside lights to save power.

An always on power outlet with coolbox could easily run down the small 12V battery, making it impossible to power up.

jaapv said:
An always on power outlet with coolbox could easily run down the small 12V battery, making it impossible to power up.
Don't devices like that have an auto cutoff when the 12v battery charge runs low to prevent that happening?

Kind regards,
Mark

re Always on power socket.

I am sure with this car's sophisticated electronics control program, that it would be possible to keep the accessory 12v battery charged from the main traction battery. (until not possible, then shut down rear power socket to save any further problems with starting, locks, and alarms)

I honestly don't see a problem occurring as I have been using coolboxes for years with no difficulties in starting. They are only on for a few hours on picnics and shopping runs, and are very handy.

Uptodat said:
Doubtless I'll get used to the MMCS but it seems far less intuitive, a bit of a fiddle when stationary and certainly not worth risking on the move. I haven't found how to adjust the volume en route.

when on the Map Display screen touch the tab^ bottom left - on that menu look for the LAST button in the list - this brings up a screen with Audio settings for various audio levels including the GPS directions voice prompts....

I wouldn't want to fiddle like that to change volume while in motion. I've turned navigation voice off completely now. On my last car - Xtrail - using the steering wheel mounted audio volume control adjusted radio etc and, when map directions where being delivered, the navigation volume. A better system.

avensys said:
Hi,

I would like to see the feature whereby you can keep depressed the lock button on the keyfob to fully close any open windows and the sunroof. In reverse, I'd like to be able to open all windows/sunroof with the unlock button.

It is annoying to lockup the car to find a window partially down and it would be great to start the cooling down of the car by opening the windows on a hot day.

Vauxall have done this for a very long time (at least for the windows). My daughter recently got a Vauxall Corsa which does this which is what reminded me.

Kind regards,
Mark

+1. I had that on an A6 years ago. Was surprised it was not done on the Outlander

Uptodat said:
and after nocturnal bleepings of powered tail gate movements, found the power off switch to be a considerate neighbour.
I'm a happy paddler now too.

There is a way to switch off the powered tail gate warning sound or am I misunderstanding your sentence ?

I thought the switch in the centre console cubby hole de-activated power operation of the tail gate, not just the warning bleeps... Perhaps I'm mistaken. If I can remotely power open the tailgate without bleeps, that would be ideal. Advise please.

Arghh... First post from me, but had a test drive yesterday and the bleeping when the tailgate was opening reminded me of a reversing dustbin lorry!

Hopefully it's possible to turn off that bleeper when we buy a PHEV next year or I'll hunt it down and pull the plug on it.

Uptodat said:
I thought the switch in the centre console cubby hole de-activated power operation of the tail gate, not just the warning bleeps... Perhaps I'm mistaken. If I can remotely power open the tailgate without bleeps, that would be ideal. Advise please.

Not remote - but when you unlock/open the tailgate via the tailgate button below the Mitsubishi badge, it won't bleep. And then if you manually shut the tailgate, it won't bleep either.

I could have posted this on a thread about bluetooth but it fits here too I think.
I have moaned before about the satnav component of MMCS being inferior to my previous car - Xtrail Tekna. Only today, after 2 months of ownership did I find the mobile phone component similarly lacking, when I hoped to make a quick call using handset memory and failed dismally. (My fault for not reading the manual fully and trying it out beforehand perhaps). Having parked up and made my call in the conventional way, I pored over the manual and fiddled at length but still drew a blank as to making the hands free call. I couldn't import the whole phonebook from my Samsung Galaxy S3 to the vehicle phone book, or even a single contact for that matter. The mobile phonebook as displayed was a pig to navigate and didn't show all the numbers in the handset - including the one I had called.
I have since manually registered a dozen key numbers one by one to the vehicle phonebook so will be OK if I have to call any of the dirty dozen. I have to say the Xtrail interface with scroll button on the wheel and straightforward voice commands, options and voice recognition was way better.
Oh for a "ha'porth of tar"on the MMCS!
Does a lack of posts on the phone function mean most folk are happy with it?

Back